unraid server problems and questions with SAB/CP/SB
Quote:"Advanced Topics [edit] Enable cache drive sleep

With settings left as default, SABnzbd+, SickBeard, and CouchPotato will keep your cache drive spun up due to numerous factors. Even accessing the web gui of any of these programs can cause the drive to spin up. In order to maximize your cache drive sleeping time, it is recommended to make the following changes:
SABnzbd+
Under Settings | General, change the Article Cache Limit to the largest individual file size that you will be downloading. A value between "100M" to "250M" should be sufficient.
If using RSS, increase the RSS Checking Interval to a higher value (i.e. 480 for max)
Under Settings | Folder, change the log directory to somewhere in the unRAID volatile file system. I use /var/log, others have suggested /tmp/log
Increase the watched folder scan speed to the largest value possible, 3600 seconds.
SickBeard
Under Config | General, change the Logging Directory to the unRAID volatile file system, similar to that in the instructions under SABnzbd+ (e.g. /var/log).
Every time SickBeard performs its episode search, your cache drive may spin up. Due to this, it is recommended to change the search interval to a higher value. Under Config | Episode Downloads, change the Search Frequency to a value of your liking (e.g. 360 minutes for every 6 hours).
CouchPotato At this time, there are no changes that will aid CouchPotato in preventing the drive from spinning up. Some have moved the CouchPotato duties to a computer that is not constantly on, such as an HTPC, and point the downloading SABnzbd+ on the unRAID server."

Hey boys.. I'm confused, do I need a cache drive? I only have 2 2TB drives ATM. Also, what are the dangers of this disk spinning stuff? I don't expect to be downloading 24/7 but will it use my disks 24/7?

Also how do u access SAB, couch potato and SB? it says on the tutorials u type in just the ip address for each... but surely all 3 can't be mapped to http://IP:port/
unRAID Basic License doesnt support cache drive
I'll buy the pro liscence if a cache drive is the only option tho.

Obviously i'd prefer just using the 2 drives i have but what are my other options /explnations..
You don't need a cache drive to install SAB/SB/CP. I am using the free version of unRAID and I have a non-array drive that I use to run SAB. The free version limits the array size to three drives (2 data + 1 parity), but there is no limit the number of non-array drives that can be installed. The drive that I use to run SAB is spun-up all the time so I used a 2.5" laptop drive becaues it uses so little power. The drive will be spinning as long as SAB is open regardless if it is downloading a file or not. So even when SAB is idle the drive is spinning.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
I run all 3 straight from an array drive. no issues at all, getting 50Mbit 24/7.
Couchpotato currently keeps the drive spun up most of the time so if you install it to an array drive it will almost always be spun up.

You can as someone has already said add a drive that isn't part of the array to install sab/sick/cp. I personally have them on my cache drive along with my xbmc mysql library and thumbnails. I've set the drive to never spin down so that thumbnails and library are always accessible without delay of waiting for the drive to spin up.

As for accessing each they go on different port numbers. I have them on port 8081, 8082 and 8083.
wsume99 Wrote:You don't need a cache drive to install SAB/SB/CP. I am using the free version of unRAID and I have a non-array drive that I use to run SAB. The free version limits the array size to three drives (2 data + 1 parity), but there is no limit the number of non-array drives that can be installed. The drive that I use to run SAB is spun-up all the time so I used a 2.5" laptop drive becaues it uses so little power. The drive will be spinning as long as SAB is open regardless if it is downloading a file or not. So even when SAB is idle the drive is spinning.

Can you preclear the non array drives, so as soon as you upgrade they can be added to the array?
T800 Wrote:Can you preclear the non array drives, so as soon as you upgrade they can be added to the array?

If you preclear and then add files to the drive you will break the preclear signature which would then require clearing again before you could add it to the array I beleive.
smiffy1989 Wrote:If you preclear and then add files to the drive you will break the preclear signature which would then require clearing again before you could add it to the array I beleive.

I won't be adding files until they are part of the array.

I just ask so I can fit all my drives and preclear them before I pay for a license. Instead of waiting until I've paid then take ages preclearing.
T800 Wrote:I won't be adding files until they are part of the array.

I just ask so I can fit all my drives and preclear them before I pay for a license. Instead of waiting until I've paid then take ages preclearing.
Then you should be just fine.
HTPC: Win 7 Home 64-bit | MB | CPU | GPU | RAM | Case | PSU | Tuner | HDDs: OS, Media | DVD Burner | Remote
Media server: unraid 4.7 | CPU | MB | RAM | Case | PSU | HDDs: Parity-2TB, Data-2x2TB
Back to the cache thing. Unraid folks are kind of obsessed with spinning down drives when not in use because:
a.) prolongs mechanical life of individual drive
b.) reduces heat possibly helping to preserve mechanical life of other drives
c.) reduces energy consumption which is a generally swell thing to do in the era of global warming

Running SAB for downloads involves downloading lots individual par files and rejoining them and uncompressing them and then deleting the original chunks so there is a lot of volatile writing and rewriting. OK maybe its a little more complicated but basically that. You obviously don't want all of these volatile temporary files being written to the array drives because you certainly don't need the parity drive trying to make a data restore copy of some temporary par files that will only exist for 10 minutes on your server.

In terms of whether you run it on a non-array or a cache drive it doesn't make of a difference, just as long as all that volatile unraring isn't being copied onto the parity drive on the array. For my cache drive I picked a small, open box super price reduced AV drive on the hope it being an AV drive would extend its life for a lifespan of volatile writing and rewriting. But its not like the SAB download drive is getting so tremendously over worked compared to the HD of any other "always on" computer.

At least as I understand it.
Acer Revo 3610 w/ Ubuntu 10.10, Giada Cube Win 7, 2 ATV 1's one w Crystal HD card, UnRaid server w/ SAB/SickBeard/Couch Potato/Transmission, MacBook Pro, Hackintosh Dell Mini 10v
ic thanks. so what size HDD would a cache or unallocated one need to run SAB/CP/ etc. for writing files etc.

for a temporary basis, can i just run it off my parity or a data disk on my array? im kind of short n harddrives...
wsume99 Wrote:You don't need a cache drive to install SAB/SB/CP. I am using the free version of unRAID and I have a non-array drive that I use to run SAB. The free version limits the array size to three drives (2 data + 1 parity), but there is no limit the number of non-array drives that can be installed. The drive that I use to run SAB is spun-up all the time so I used a 2.5" laptop drive becaues it uses so little power. The drive will be spinning as long as SAB is open regardless if it is downloading a file or not. So even when SAB is idle the drive is spinning.

Hey I have a spare 320GB drive... would this be enough for that function? Could you give me some instructions/advice? I'm a newbie to this and would really appreciate it if you have the time. How do I point the installers to this drive?
The cache drive would need to be no bigger than the files that you would be transferring at one time. Some people run an old 60gb laptop hdd as their cache drive. The main point of the cache drive is to SIMULATE a faster transfer to your unraid server, but actually just acts as a "jump off point" to transfer to before being transferred a second time to your actual array.

Keep in mind that I've only been playing with Unraid for a few weeks, so I may have no idea what I'm talking about!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
unraid server problems and questions with SAB/CP/SB0