Need Guidance!
maw230 Wrote:I guess I am confused. If you boot from USB,can you still access the machine's internal storage?
yes, if you want.
schneidz Wrote:yes, if you want.

Ok, then I think I would like to try Live from USB on a windows machine before I try Ubuntu.

After installing Live, how do I point it to the internal hdd on the windows machine? I supposed I could read the wiki.
maw230 Wrote:Ok, then I think I would like to try Live from USB on a windows machine before I try Ubuntu.
i think this is the part where you are confused... a live-cd/dvd/usb/sd-card/... is a fully functional self contained linux operating system that runs live. meaning that it doesnt depend on the os already installed on the internal harddrive so you cant use windows while it is booted up. the point of a live distribution is that you dont have to install it in order to use it.

if you want to try it on a windows machine then you should install the windows version.
maw230 Wrote:After installing Live, how do I point it to the internal hdd on the windows machine? I supposed I could read the wiki.
you would have to mount the drive while xbmc is booted up. (i think it can be done in the menus but worst case scenario you would have ssh into the machine and configure the fstab file ).
schneidz Wrote:i think this is the part where you are confused... a live-cd/dvd/usb/sd-card/... is a fully functional self contained linux operating system that runs live. meaning that it doesnt depend on the os already installed on the internal harddrive so you cant use windows while it is booted up. the point of a live distribution is that you dont have to install it in order to use it.

if you want to try it on a windows machine then you should install the windows version.
you would have to mount the drive while xbmc is booted up. (i think it can be done in the menus but worst case scenario you would have ssh into the machine and configure the fstab file ).

Thanks for the explanation. I knew that it was a separate OS. I was trying to explain that the machine it is plugged into will be running Windows. So, I can configure my bios accordingly..

It sounds like Live is worth a shot. If it can boot up super fast then that is exactly what I'm looking for.
I used windows although that is what I am most familiar with. I must say that it does everything in windows that I would want it to.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need Guidance!0