XBMC Backend
A XBMC backend would be awsome and I'll contribute if i know where to start..
jmarshall Wrote:We can't combine Serviio code and XBMC code given the Serviio license, at least not without permission from the author. Serviio also doesn't appear to be opensource either way, so forking is not an option anyway (besides, we're not really into forking others code - we prefer to work with people).

What about subsonic? May be similar and opensource? No idea whether there is an interest for a cooperation, but may be worth a try.
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
Interesting, I had never heard of subsonic, but it looks very polished and highly capable. Their music support is great. It looks like a much better and cheaper option to iCloud. And they started supporting video streaming (in its infancy currently)

It is opensource (GPLv3), however it is not free.

Well, there is a technicality. First of all, the web client has ads. And second, there is a required "donation" to enable API access (required for mobile clients) and to remove ads from the web client.

It is a little misleading and I am not really a fan of that.

I am not that knowledgeable about GPL, but isn't that a violation? To require a donation and give license keys to unlock the api and remove ads?? The following is taken directly from gnu.org:

Quote:Does the GPL allow me to require that anyone who receives the software must pay me a fee and/or notify me?

No. In fact, a requirement like that would make the program non-free. If people have to pay when they get a copy of a program, or if they have to notify anyone in particular, then the program is not free.
aptalca Wrote:Interesting, I had never heard of subsonic, but it looks very polished and highly capable. Their music support is great. It looks like a much better and cheaper option to iCloud. And they started supporting video streaming (in its infancy currently)

You are right that video is said to be in its infancy. I am using it both for SD and HD and it is not clear why it is viewed as such. It works brilliantly well without an glitches. The API may open doors to connect it with an XBMC client, but I am not a programmer...
Server: Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Intel Core i5 3.4 GHz | 16 GB DDR3 | 128 GB SSD, 82 TB (9 x 6 TB, 7 x 4 TB)
HTPC 1: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 2: Raspberry Pi 2 | HTPC 3: Raspberry Pi
aptalca Wrote:Interesting, I had never heard of subsonic, but it looks very polished and highly capable. Their music support is great. It looks like a much better and cheaper option to iCloud. And they started supporting video streaming (in its infancy currently)

It is opensource (GPLv3), however it is not free.

Well, there is a technicality. First of all, the web client has ads. And second, there is a required "donation" to enable API access (required for mobile clients) and to remove ads from the web client.

It is a little misleading and I am not really a fan of that.

I am not that knowledgeable about GPL, but isn't that a violation? To require a donation and give license keys to unlock the api and remove ads?? The following is taken directly from gnu.org:

I don't think it's a violation since GPL is just a license and it doesn't have any clause about paying or something. So it's legally no problem; morally on the other hand.....

You see this more and more nowadays: people using GPL software to speed up their own development and then they find some shady ways to make money.

But I don't like people missusing the GPL (Free Software) and .org domains for "required donations". Altough, I think it's very nice that he didn't threw in a software foundation. ;-)

Thnx for investigating and sharing this.
I would be so happy for an XBMC server/backend. For some reason my ATV2 just stopped seeing all the files in my SQL and is spitting out generic file not found errors. Having a backend to point everything to would be so wonderful!
A backend is not only about plublishing the media.
In my view step 1 should be to create a headless library manager.

What do it need to be able to do in version 1.0?
1) Scrap media
2) Clean lib
3) Manage DBs in mysql?
4) Web interface
5) API interface

Not very complicated except the scraping?
vikjon0 Wrote:A backend is not only about plublishing the media.
In my view step 1 should be to create a headless library manager.

What do it need to be able to do in version 1.0?
1) Scrap media
2) Clean lib
3) Manage DBs in mysql?
4) Web interface
5) API interface

Not very complicated except the scraping?

These are my thoughts on the matter. 3) depends mostly in what technology is used, uPnP is better for most users IMO but json-rpc could be used (and MySQL). for 4 and 5 it would be smart to use JSON-RPC, as then same webinterfaces could be used and it would be transparent what is server and what is servlet.

And yeah, not extremely complicated but lots to implement.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Goo...dia_Server
Quote: create a set of libraries which are clean, reusable, isolated, designed outside of XBMC and used outside of XBMC. Some of the libraries which could be created as a part of this project is a VFS, scanning and scraping, URL and database libraries

I think creating a basic set of libraries is absolutly the way to get this rolling. Getting people involved in a server project using these libs will be much easier.

A first version could work with the standard xbmc db model or be completely independent. If I read you correctly you are talking about low level lib not db integrated components. No problem, but a great complement would of course be a sample component working with the xbmc db.

I am interested in this but I will not have time to get oriented in the existing code base. Perhaps I can help with some db stuff when it gets started.
vikjon0 Wrote:http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Goo...dia_Server

I think creating a basic set of libraries is absolutly the way to get this rolling. Getting people involved in a server project using these libs will be much easier.

A first version could work with the standard xbmc db model or be completely independent. If I read you correctly you are talking about low level lib not db integrated components. No problem, but a great complement would of course be a sample component working with the xbmc db.

I am interested in this but I will not have time to get oriented in the existing code base. Perhaps I can help with some db stuff when it gets started.

I'm both talking about the possible API which a client (xbmc or server) may use and that which the database backend would (so we wouldn't be tied to a single type of database as sql/mysql). But obviously the most vital part is the API the client would use (and is the one which would be focused upon). using the actual and pre-existing db in xbmc as a source would be a great first step, just clean up the actual getters but in the end making a new database schema would also be very well received. There are lots of possible modules and each module could be a seperate project.

I have somewhat started with the VFS which can be found in my git (not at all decided if it would ever be used within xbmc) and afaik many of the media managers already have partly made scraping libraries, might be good to use one of them to make a standalone scraping library. For example one which takes a bunch of properties (title, date etc. and NOT the filename) and do a lookup on that. With that model stuff like uPnP could also work (where filename is unknown or irrelevant).

Anyone interested in making (or help make) these sets of libraries are more than welcome to ping me and I can help with design and possibly code (in fall hopefully). I would love to see a potential xbmc server (and would use it very much).

We can probably start a thread on each module when a developer has shown interest.
If you have problems please read this before posting

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

"Well Im gonna download the code and look at it a bit but I'm certainly not a really good C/C++ programer but I'd help as much as I can, I mostly write in C#."
Aptalca,

I would be very interested in something like this as seeing as how we've got like 5 windows machines, 2 mac laptops, a few ipod touches, an xbox and a ps3 and if something like this would be easy to tie it all to my media server would be fantastic and especially because the rest of the family don't need to be messing with any of the settings except play Wink

What stage of development are you in?

(btw I saw your automation thread and was wondering if you've got video of said room?) I was going to private message you but apparently you can't do that as a noob.
(pm sent)

Just to clear up any confusion, I am not developing this. I started the thread to discuss different ways this could be implemented, to get other people's ideas on feasibility and additional features and hopefully arouse interest from other devs.
Seems like Boxee did something similar. . .

http://www.boxee.tv/ipad

On that page you'll see that Boxee released a "Boxee Media Manager" that handles transcoding and serving

Currently, their ipad app uses the media manager to stream feeds from the computer
I am also very interested in a media server solution well integrated with xbmc.
I successfully implemented the mysql solution at home *with symlink thumbnails*, but I realise it is not a user-friendly solution, not even admin-friendly i would say.

I don't know any programming languages but i'm fairly knowledgeable in Windows and Linux environments, so I will volunteer for testing to any devs who might be working on this.

Thanks!
Can I just throw in a vote for this too?

I have a Synology NAS holding ~500 films and a hodge podge of TV eps from different seasons across about 80+ series. I need to get some 3TB drives and get the rest of the TV back off the hundreds of DVDs :-)

This is now also holding a MySQL db for xbmc, which is being used by;

my Win7 PC
my Mac Mini w/ projector
my flat mates iMac
and hopefully a new box on the TV in the lounge

I'll be honest guys, it was a billion miles from easy to set up, and I run the Infrastructure team for a UK hosting company. I should know what I'm doing (I don't, a lot of the time Smile) but I had to read a ton of stuff. Took me a whole evening to work out which way I should do it (MySQL? symlinks?!) and implement it.

My Mini and proj were in a cupboard since early 2009. I decided they needed to come out and prayed the OS X HTPC situation was better! From my experiences with MP before, I knew it was Win only, which didn't suit. Finding xbmc ported was great, but Plex has a lot of the answers too...

Here's my thread on why I'm still an xbmc user, but if they fix some things one day, maybe I'd switch the DB at least:

http://forums.plexapp.com/index.php/topi...-reaction/

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Backend2