HTPC for playing music without turning on tv
Hi,

I'm looking into building a XBMC HTPC which has a seperate display which I can use to select and play music without turning on the tv. So, the HTPC must boot into XBMC on Windows/Linux and offer a menu on its own display to play music.

Another possibility may be that the display and menu is located on the remote.

Is this possible? What kind of case is suitable?

Thanks!
reynard80 Wrote:Hi,

I'm looking into building a XBMC HTPC which has a seperate display which I can use to select and play music without turning on the tv. So, the HTPC must boot into XBMC on Windows/Linux and offer a menu on its own display to play music.

Another possibility may be that the display and menu is located on the remote.

Is this possible? What kind of case is suitable?

Thanks!

Buy a cheap Android Tablet and you control your HTPC via the XBMC android "front end" app and a wifi connection. It works great, you can even see album art on the android Tablet.
What Roger said. There's an android app that will let you use (almost) any android device as a remote control over your local network, as well as being able to access your entire library and select something to play. As long as your HTPC is on and running XBMC, you can use the tablet/phone/whatever to pick some music to play.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
im not too familiar with android,,,
which Tablet is the cheapest?
this one --> ARCHOS 28??

i know that in my case,
using the LCD screen that came with my HTPC case,
and thanx to the app named XBMC-on-IMON,
im able to do exactly what reynard80 asked!!

I believe the same LCD screen is available for users to buy separately Here
it says it fits in an External 3.5" bay....
Note that the remote is total JUNK,,,
Barely good for POWER-ON and OFF Tongue
That sounds like a better suggestion eskro, though I'm not sure that link is correct. $17 for a screen and functionality? Sounds too good to be true!
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
well, lemme triple-check,,

is it an LCD or IR receiver only!?

hmmm,,,,

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC for playing music without turning on tv0