new mobo please help...
Well, that's a bit crap.

It's definitely not POSTing, due to the keyboard lights; but without a chassis speaker it's very hard to work out why. Is there another machine you can steal one from? Or anything else you can connect to the header? In one of my machines, I've actually wired up an LED to it (mostly just to see if it worked) and use that instead of a speaker.

OH - brainwave! Either the PWR or HDD LED connections from the case might have the two wires split? Try hooking that up and see what happens. You'll need to connect it to the outer-most pins of the four pin header, but I'm not sure which way around. Try both =) I also suggest you unplug the other LED to avoid confusion.

I'm worried that you order a new mobo, only to find out that it's the CPU or the RAM.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
numb7rs Wrote:Well, that's a bit crap.

It's definitely not POSTing, due to the keyboard lights; but without a chassis speaker it's very hard to work out why. Is there another machine you can steal one from? Or anything else you can connect to the header? In one of my machines, I've actually wired up an LED to it (mostly just to see if it worked) and use that instead of a speaker.

OH - brainwave! Either the PWR or HDD LED connections from the case might have the two wires split? Try hooking that up and see what happens. You'll need to connect it to the outer-most pins of the four pin header, but I'm not sure which way around. Try both =) I also suggest you unplug the other LED to avoid confusion.

I'm worried that you order a new mobo, only to find out that it's the CPU or the RAM.

Past few motherboards I dealt with wont post with out ram, and with one where I had a bad stick of ram it acted the same as it did with no ram. AFAIK most MB mfgs now days copy the BIOS from the flash ROM to RAM for booting, this is because it is faster. So no RAM no bootstraping of the BIOS, etc.

This is why I suggested trying a different stick of ram. AFAIK you need RAM to past the POST in most MBs. With out the RAM there is no where to load the bootstrapper from the ROM. With no RAM the POST fails, before any of the bios loads, with maybe nothing more that a blinking cursor, if that, and if you have a speaker attached to the MB you may get some diag beeps for a some guru meditation about the post failure.

So again I suggest you replace the ram before you spend time/effort and expense on RMAing, if you can.
The reason I suggested running with no RAM is to see if the keyboard lights behaved differently. I've been in situations where a system does nothing, no beeps or lights. Upon removing the RAM, the system correctly screamed at me that it had no RAM. Unfortunately there are no standards for this sort of thing, and problems with hardware can have some very strange effects, making troubleshooting a difficult process.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

wait up!!

aoaaron, reset/Clear CMOS!!

example --> http://ow.ly/1uTm62

this might work!!
thanks guys, fixed it! you guys were really awesome and helpful, thanks a lot.
did reset/Clear CMOS fixed it!??
Haha, looks like it. It's always the stupid little things you never think of :p

Then thats great if it was only that!
but i would like aoaaron to confirm us if resetting/Clearing CMOS fixed his issue!
Smile
ill find out the exact problem and inform you guys tommorow! my dad fixed it following your guys advice which i quoted to him. the PSU 4+4 was one of the problems.
ok great, see you then Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
new mobo please help...0