Join 2 folders within my xbmc's movie folder
Hi,

can I do something like joining folders / paths in XBMC?

My Problem is that I have a folder movies on a big hdd but now there is no more space. I have another hdd where I can put the other files, but it would be very nice if I could join this two physical locations to one "virtual folder" on xbmc. So xbmc shows all the files from the two folders / discs and shows them as they were in just one folder.

Hope you can understand my point. Is that possible to do?

Thanks!
foxm2k Wrote:My Problem is that I have a folder movies on a big hdd but now there is no more space.
I have another hdd where I can put the other files, but it would be very nice if
I could join this two physical locations to one "virtual folder" on xbmc. So xbmc
shows all the files from the two folders / discs and shows them as they were in
just one folder.

Hope you can understand my point. Is that possible to do?

It's possible and it's easy.

1. Add the folder on the new HDD as another XBMC source.
  2. Set the content of this folder to 'Movies'.
  3. Scrape.
  4. Done.
Okay, this would be possible. But these are two locations within "movies". So I would split them up in "movies a-m" and "movies n-z". But is there a way to specify two locations / paths for one entry? So I would not have to change folders. For example Windows 7 does this for "Documents" folder.
foxm2k Wrote:Okay, this would be possible. But these are two locations within "movies".

I'm not sure what "two locations" means. Do you mean two different folders?

foxm2k Wrote:So I would split them up in "movies a-m" and "movies
n-z". But is there a way to specify two locations / paths for one entry? So I
would not have to change folders.

You can add multiple folders as XBMC sources. While in XBMC 'File' mode, you
can add two or more folders (I have five at the moment) and 'Set Contents'
to 'Movies' for each of them. Then, in 'Library' mode, when you select
"MOVIES", they'll all show up there.

Is that what you're asking? (Sorry, for repeating myself.)
The answer is yes

There are two ways to add a source in XBMC either as separate sources or multiple sources added as one source with the later your only see one top directory

I have four locations containing a Movie top directory and SD/HD sub directories all added as a single source I only see one top directory Movies and two sub directories which contain all the movies from all four locations

Of course we are talking about file mode as library mode your just see everything in one library with no directories or sub directories no matter how they are added
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
Hi,

I am still not sure wether we understand each other. Let me make an example:

I have two folders with content:
D:\movies1
... Alien.mkv
... Bigfoot.mkv
... Mad Max.mkv

E:\movies2
... Next.mkv
... Opus Dei.mkv
... Zombies.mkv

If I would have a 4TB hdd all of the files would beneath D:\movies(all)

In reality I have xbmc in filemode and have a structure like:
XBMC
... Movies
... ... movies1
... ... ... Alien.mkv
... ... ... Bigfoot.mkv
... ... ... Mad Max.mkv
... ... movies2
... ... ... Next.mkv
... ... ... Opus Dei.mkv
... ... ... Zombies.mkv

What I want:
XBMC
... Movies
... ... movies(all)
... ... ... Alien.mkv
... ... ... Bigfoot.mkv
... ... ... Mad Max.mkv
... ... ... Next.mkv
... ... ... Opus Dei.mkv
... ... ... Zombies.mkv

So behind ... ... movies(all) are the "sources":
- D:\movies1
- E:\movies2

Hope you can understand my point.
I know exactly what you mean

Click "add source" and browse to your "movies1" and still with the same window open on the right click "Add" and browse to your "movies2" now before you click ok give it the name "Movies" where is says "Enter a name for this media source"

That will give you one source called "Movies" entering that source your see all your movies from

D:\movies1
E:\movies2
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
Thank you very much! I will try this as soon as I am back home!
So, I tested it and... you are absolutely right! That really works!

Thanks a lot!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Join 2 folders within my xbmc's movie folder0