• 24(current)
Solved 10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?
seer tenedos, I also tested this extensively today and it does appear that it fixes the quality of 10-bit files but I have noticed an overall decrease in performance of the media center in terms of speed. This can likely be attributed to the older version that this is run on, or that is my guess at least.

It would be nice to see the newest version of FFmpeg implemented into the newest version of XBMC.
yea i would love that as well Hypknox but only one person seems to have ever made this build and does not seem to be posting on this thread any more Sad
If you're a Windows user and need hi10 support, DSPlayer is the best way to go.
From my experience bambi73's is fine if you're only playing file with fairly low bitrates such as anime fansubs. Anything that needs more CPU power, in other words multiple cores, leads to frame drops, be it 10bit or 8bit files.
That ends up being a solution outside of XBMC. I haven't come across a file that wouldn't play through MPC for that matter. The goal is to get everything to play in XBMC if at all possible.
Hypknox Wrote:That ends up being a solution outside of XBMC. I haven't come across a file that wouldn't play through MPC for that matter. The goal is to get everything to play in XBMC if at all possible.

The DSPlayer player build has DSPlayer internally, so it is all within XBMC.
just go to almost any source of anime files and search for 10-bit or hi10 and you should find some. A lot of new release Anime uses it.
Ned Scott Wrote:The DSPlayer player build has DSPlayer internally, so it is all within XBMC.

I hadn't heard of this until you guys mentioned it. I looked into it some and it seems a bit inconvenient if I'm understanding it correctly.

I take it you're referring to the build posted here right? - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=106629

Which that is pre-eden, it would be nice to have the most current official release of XBMC with all things integrated and be able to play any media file you throw at it.

Also, from reading the "how to use dsplayer" found here - http://dsplayer.wikia.com/wiki/HOW-TO:_Using_DSPlayer

It looks like you have to do this in order to play a file through dsplayer -

"You can right click on the media file, select Play with and choose DSPlayer. If you don't use the mouse, press c in order to pop up the context menu. "

Now, it does mention that you can edit your advancedsettings.xml file to make dsplayer your default player but then it goes into pages of more instructions of configuration settings that you need to do.

It may be wishful thinking, and by no means am I ungrateful for this amazing software, especially at the cost of $0 but I would like to install 1 version of XBMC and it play all of my various types of files, anything I throw at it, without extensive custom configuration.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something and such a release already exists?
Hypknox Wrote:It may be wishful thinking, and by no means am I ungrateful for this amazing software, especially at the cost of $0 but I would like to install 1 version of XBMC and it play all of my various types of files, anything I throw at it, without extensive custom configuration.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding something and such a release already exists?

It's coming. Not for this release (Eden) but probably the next one. The amount of effort required doesn't really allow for it to happen in Eden, so until it does get merged in, you'll have to employ some kind of stop-gap measure (DSPlayer, external player, etc.) for these particular encodes.

The devs haven't said that they have no intention of merging this functionality in; just that it can't happen in time for Eden.
What's happening with the ordered chapter support?

Recall someone saying there was going to be a seperate alpha build released working on that feature, Had 1 build where it worked but since then its gone again.

Any plans to work on that again?
So I followed through the instructions for the XBMC with dsplayer built into it - http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=106629

These additional instructions helped - http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=975...tcount=875

Getting through all of that was a bit overwhelming. Especially when I open up the many different configuration tools for FFDSHOW. I also have no idea if LAV filters are the way to go, I went with them since they were mentioned. I just left FFDSHOW and LAV configurations at default, I assume that's ok?

I'm able to play 10-bit with excellent quality but I've noticed one draw back to DS Player. - I'm unable to manually select a point in the show with the mouse. Whenever I attempt this it kicks the episode back to the very beginning. I can still jump ahead 30 seconds with right arrow, but I cannot click and drag or even just click a random point on the episode timeline. Any ideas how to fix that or is that just an issue with DS Player? I did confirm that with the same episode using the default DVD Player I can navigate freely, of course the video quality is poor with it.

*EDIT* I did have to change one thing from the "pre-setup DSPlayer XML files pack", I had to manually edit the mediasconfig.xml for mkv files. I had to change the video filter for mkv to read - <video filter="ffdvideodec" />
He has it set to <video filter="lavvideo"/>. none of the files would play through DS Player with that setting though. Do I need to change a configuration setting in the LAV video configuration file maybe? I noticed under formats mkv isn't even listed.

No other files play through DS Player, only the 10bit anime. Seems like something isn't configured correctly with either ffdshow or LAV.

*UPDATE* I did some more testing and I went ahead and changed all file formats to <video filter="ffdvideodec" /> now everything plays through DS Player. There ONLY issue I'm having at this point (that I can tell) that's preventing this from being the perfect set up is the issue with navigating to different parts of the movie / tv show.
Now that Eden is finaly out, is there any chance to have "soon" an ffmpeg update, with 10bit and multi-threading support for h264 ?

Thanks and cheers for XBMC team.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/810
Ok, it seems it could realy be sooner than i expected that nightly builds may have it.

Thanks.
Yeah man you just have to wait until that pull relquest is merged.
If that's the case, then good news. Very much looking forward to nightly builds with 10bit support, though I'll still have to rely on DSPlayer for ordered chapters support.
  • 24(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
10-bit h264 (Hi10) Support?7