[Live] install woes...
I've been fighting with openELEC for a while now trying to get HDMI audio working so I figured I make a Live USB drive and see how that works. After being unable to make a bootable USB that wouldn't fail when trying to find an optical drive I make a boot CD, then on my laptop booted from the CD and installed on my thumb drive. Now if I boot my laptop from that thumb drive, perfect. If I boot my new machine (see my signature) it will boot to grub, then takes me to a command prompt. If I enter my login it eventually goes black and freezes. What am I missing?

Thanks!
HTPC: CPU | MoBo | GPU | Case & PSU | RAM |SSD
have you tried the OpenELEC forum for support on HDMI audio!?

Also, i use FlashBoot 2.1f to create my bootable USB drives....

hasnt failed me yet...
Unfortunately an operating system installed using one system will rarely work with a different one. The OS has to install differently for each system, due to differences in the hardware.

A common method for creating bootable USB drives is to use unetbootin. Supply this simple software with a USB drive and a linux .iso, like one for XBMC Live, which is actually based on Ubuntu, and will turn the drive into a bootable install 'disc'.

With XBMC Live you will be able to run this straight from the USB drive in 'live' mode. I'm not familiar with it myself, but it might be that you will not be able to save settings etc to this, because the system assumes it is running from a CD. You may need to boot the system, then install it to a second USB in order to have full functionality.

(Can someone who knows confirm or deny this please?)
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
numb7rs Wrote:Unfortunately an operating system installed using one system will rarely work with a different one. The OS has to install differently for each system, due to differences in the hardware.

A common method for creating bootable USB drives is to use unetbootin. Supply this simple software with a USB drive and a linux .iso, like one for XBMC Live, which is actually based on Ubuntu, and will turn the drive into a bootable install 'disc'.

With XBMC Live you will be able to run this straight from the USB drive in 'live' mode. I'm not familiar with it myself, but it might be that you will not be able to save settings etc to this, because the system assumes it is running from a CD. You may need to boot the system, then install it to a second USB in order to have full functionality.

(Can someone who knows confirm or deny this please?)

the OS on a different system was my assumption.

i have tried to install from the unetbootin created usb drive... the install fails because my machine does not have an optical drive. it is running off the usb but doesnt know it and keeps searching for the cd drive... is this user error? my next option is to go buy an optical drive, either internal or usb external.

thanks!
That's a bit of a rubbish design feature if XBMC Live keeps falling over looking for a CD drive. Unfortunately, as I said, I'm not really familiar with it, so I can't really help =(

Do you not know of any other machines you can borrow one from, or any friends that have PCs?

If not, standard DVD drives aren't too expensive, but it seems a bit of a waste to buy one just to install XBMC.
Asus AT5IONT-I in an A+ CUPID-3 + 2TB Seagate LP + 16GB SSD + Ubuntu + Samba + XBMC

AT5IONT-I Problems? Check out my Motherboard I/O Map for troubleshooting tips.
i have the same motherboard (GA-MA78LMT-S2) and have had zero luck with live cds, same thing getting stuck during boot. i tried ubuntu live cds and they seem to work.. i know nothing about linux but im guessing it has something to do with missing drivers or something for the motherboard

EDIT: im running windows for the meantime, but would like to make the switch to a live install if i can get 1 running
i am still working through openELEC and the forum there is being extremely helpful walking me through this troubleshooting.

while i am working on that i will try to borrow a cd drive from a friend or something to test a live cd and install to my thumb drive. i will get back with those results.

i did test the thumb drive i created with unetbootin on my laptop and that gave the same error.(i had to actually burn a cd-r and run from there) so while i dont pretend to understand this, i believe the problem is something with the software. even though you can make a bootable usb, the software is telling the machine to look for the install files on the cd....

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Live] install woes...0