sorta on topic with my storage server
now that i have a bad ass htpc on the way im getting ready to build a storage server to match. last time i built a PC from scratch the P3 was the baddest bitch on the block so to say ive been out of it a while.....

i want this to encode dvd and bluray rips so im thinking a 64 bit server or workstation level chip. i remember quad cores being big, but i don't know where they are now and apparently clock speed isn't the only way to tell how much number crunching capabilities the chip has anymore. what am i looking for in chips and motherboard combinations? i know i want dual 1gig ethernet ports, usb3, and minimum of 3 pci enhanced slots for the drive controllers im using. its a server so onboard video is fine, my monitor is DVI so that has to be taken into account.

im looking at 8 gigs of ram and a 40 gig ssd main drive.

my sister and i are building the case from scratch out of acrylic so that won't be a problem, im mainly having trouble picking a motherboard and chip, anyone have a suggestions. i want a real movie encoding powerhouse here.
scphantm Wrote:now that i have a bad ass htpc on the way im getting ready to build a storage server to match. last time i built a PC from scratch the P3 was the baddest bitch on the block so to say ive been out of it a while.....

i want this to encode dvd and bluray rips so im thinking a 64 bit server or workstation level chip. i remember quad cores being big, but i don't know where they are now and apparently clock speed isn't the only way to tell how much number crunching capabilities the chip has anymore. what am i looking for in chips and motherboard combinations? i know i want dual 1gig ethernet ports, usb3, and minimum of 3 pci enhanced slots for the drive controllers im using. its a server so onboard video is fine, my monitor is DVI so that has to be taken into account.

im looking at 8 gigs of ram and a 40 gig ssd main drive.

my sister and i are building the case from scratch out of acrylic so that won't be a problem, im mainly having trouble picking a motherboard and chip, anyone have a suggestions. i want a real movie encoding powerhouse here.

What are you going to be ripping these dvds and blu rays too? If you must make a big movie with all its specials and audio streams smaller that will take some horsepower to get it done reasonably quick but just ripping a DVD or BR to say MKV format doesn't take a massive powerhouse and I bet most people just rip the main feature anyways further reducing processor time.
high quality mkv i would imagine. i use handbrake for everything and thats what it supports.
Big ass-rig = big-ass power bill if you're going to keep it on 24/7. Likely case once you get more things attached / depending on it.

Moral of sentence #1 is that an i3 or i5 or XXX whatever lower-power server will do you better in the long run. The i7 rigs and such are very fast, etc but suck up a lot of power + heat to deal with if you want it on all the time.

With tools like Handbrake too for instance you can queue up as many movies as you want to transcode and let it do its things overnight...
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
ok, so if i go with a low power chip, say an i5, what am i looking for with motherboards. can you suggest a few?

also, with these multi-core chips, mhz is less relevant apparently than it was in the past, how do you compare the power of one chip to another?
I *think* the z68 chipset is a good place to start looking.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4329/intel...ing-review

I haven't dug into this since my last purchase approx 6 months ago but Sandy Bridge seems to be the mobo du jour.

You'll no doubt get a lot of opinions +/- these statements...Supermicro makes very good server boards too but that may be overkill for what you need.

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
scphantm Wrote:ok, so if i go with a low power chip, say an i5, what am i looking for with motherboards. can you suggest a few?

also, with these multi-core chips, mhz is less relevant apparently than it was in the past, how do you compare the power of one chip to another?

Think you'll be happy with a lower power chip if power bills are of concern to you, not sure how massive your collection is but sooner or later you will get it all ripped and now have a expensive to run storage server cpu that can do server duty as an afterthought.

Not all software can take advantage of multi-core chips AFAIK so it's hard to say quad core low mhz is necessarily faster than dual core fast mhz but surely someone is ranking this stuff. I used to go to Tom's hardware for ranking news not sure if they still do it though.
This might help a bit...just need same Handbrake benchmarks for the lower-power i3 Sandy Bridges - 2nd Gen Intel Core xx on the Intel page.

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/x86-c...,2767.html

http://ark.intel.com/

You won't really need the integrated gpu from the cpu, as this will be mainly a server. Z68,P67,Q67 chipsets are for power horses. H67 is for general/HTPC use. I'd say go with an H61 chipset board and an i3 cpu (even i5 is an overkill). This will be give you a low power consumption system and 6 sata (2 of them sata3) + 4 pci + 2 usb3 ports on board. Look at the microATX Intel boards.
The new Sandybridge chips have Intels QuickSync technology which offer the best performance for encoding video. Buy the cheapest chip you can find with Quicksync if your primary objective is video encoding.

Quicksync operates independantly from the CPU core itself so performance on the "slower" CPU is the same as the "faster" CPU's.
ok, let me throw this one out there. im adding to this server 20 2tb hard drives in a software raid (probably 6), with the case we are building capable of adding 20 more when then first array fills up. im using pretty much the same HD setup as the BlazePods from backblaze. does the added overhead of the parity calculations for the raid array change the opinion that an i3 is good enough?
If you're going quite hardcore - I'd call 20 x 2TB drives hardcore - go with something a little more sophisticated than raid6.

Look into a FreeBSD build using ZFS - multiple zpools spread amongst the drives.

I'm also assuming you're going to be using some form of SAS expander otherwise you wouldn't be mentioning the addition of 20-40 HDD's in a system?

oh im beginning to see what you guys are saying, the GPU itself is used for encoding. does an app like Handbrake utilize that functionality of the GPU?
thethirdnut Wrote:If you're going quite hardcore - I'd call 20 x 2TB drives hardcore - go with something a little more sophisticated than raid6.

Look into a FreeBSD build using ZFS - multiple zpools spread amongst the drives.

I'm also assuming you're going to be using some form of SAS expander otherwise you wouldn't be mentioning the addition of 20-40 HDD's in a system?

yea, im using this model - http://blog.backblaze.com/2011/07/20/pet...e-secrets/ as a guide. im building my own case out of acrylic with water cooling thats going to look nothing like that. but im using the same expanders and drives.

zfs. interesting. im a ubuntu guy, but the idea of being able to add additional drives of any size to the existing volume is a very nice idea indeed. i will have to do some additional reading and testing when the hardware gets here to see if i like it.
The big draw for ZFS is the built-in data integrity mechanisms...moreso than ext4.

As far as OS support besides the Solaris variants the only other real option are FreeBSD or FreeNAS which is built off FreeBSD.

For Linux there is one very active zfsonlinux.org project, but its still under heavy development. btrfs will also be very zfs-like once its done, but most of those advanced features aren't currently working - in heavy development as well.

There's a large FreeBSD community and lots of good online and offline reference material - I'm dabbling with that at the moment.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
sorta on topic with my storage server0