2nd HTPC for basement
Question 
I have an HTPC in my living room that I use mostly with XBMC to watch media from my UnRaid server. I also use Boxee to watch MLB.tv. I just moved into a house that has a projector setup in the basement and I want to be able to watch down there, too.

I would like the simplicity of a media streamer (Roku, Boxee Box,...), but they all have some drawback that turns me off (no local content, stability issues, bad GUI, ...). So, I'm back to building an HTPC. Using guides from eskro and Assassin over at AVS, I've come up with this:

APEX MI-008 Black Steel Mini-ITX Tower Computer Case 250W Power Supply - $45
H67M-ITX/HT LGA 1155 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard - $125
Intel Pentium G840 Sandy Bridge 2.8GHz - $89
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) - $37
CORSAIR Flash Voyager 8GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive - $18
Total w/ shipping - $331.50

I think that's everything I would need, unless I need more or quieter fans? There's no hard drive because I'm going to try running OpenELEC from the flash drive. The motherboard is listed as supported plus it includes a remote and receiver. It also includes 802.11n which I'm going to try to use since there is no ethernet cable in the basement.

This setup doesn't give me MLB.tv, but I can try PlayOn and see how that works. Or, I can buy an SSD and install Win7 and use regular XBMC & Boxee like I do upstairs.

Any suggestions to improve the cost/performance ratio. I could use G620 instead of the G840, but it's only an $11 difference. And, I could use 2GB instead of 4GB of ram and save about $20. But, ram is so cheap right now and if I need more later it might not be so cheap with the way prices bounce around.

Thanks for any suggestions!
even a G620 CPU is overkill for OpenELEC Tongue

And a $50 CELERON E3400 will eat any heavy skins and 1080P movies for Launch!!

i would suggest you something like this --> http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=841972&postcount=1

Since u seem power hungry Tongue

2GB's or RAM is definitely enough! even for win7!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
2nd HTPC for basement0