Is XBMC for me? Newbie looking for advices
Oh oh, and what about decoding? Or is that done by the ATV2?
Tanax Wrote:Oh oh, and what about decoding? Or is that done by the ATV2?

ATV2 needs nothing additional to enjoy the fruit of XBMC. Just toss it on your network, install XBMC, toss on your flavors of repos and enjoy. Honestly you wont even care about ripping, storage, downloading any more. I have only found maybe 1 - 3 movies not available to stream. Any TV show you can desire and any internet show you can desire. Its just all there. Just need that little itty bitty box.
Iceman72 Wrote:ATV2 needs nothing additional to enjoy the fruit of XBMC. Just toss it on your network, install XBMC, toss on your flavors of repos and enjoy. Honestly you wont even care about ripping, storage, downloading any more. I have only found maybe 1 - 3 movies not available to stream. Any TV show you can desire and any internet show you can desire. Its just all there. Just need that little itty bitty box.

Sounds great!
Not sure what you mean with not caring about storage though. I'll still need a storage computer for my photos and my videos XD

Looks though that the ATV2 + XBMC will be my way to go. Still have to look into where to store the MySQL database, if it's suitable to store it on the storage-computer, since I will want to be able to pause on one display-device and unpaus it from that moment on another display-device.
Tanax Wrote:Sounds great!
Not sure what you mean with not caring about storage though. I'll still need a storage computer for my photos and my videos XD

Looks though that the ATV2 + XBMC will be my way to go. Still have to look into where to store the MySQL database, if it's suitable to store it on the storage-computer, since I will want to be able to pause on one display-device and unpaus it from that moment on another display-device.

The reason I say you don't really need any storage is that you can watch basically everything from the repos that you can possibly desire. Now maybe have some space for photos. I did link my xbmc to a photo share on my pc. But that's about it. Since I no longer download movies to my pc I have freed up seval terabytes of storage. I just haven't found the need to store any movies or tv shows anymore. I really don't think I will ever start downloading movies again.

You can't pause it and then resume on another. But honestly how often would you do that? I pause, fast forward and rewind. That's about it. Once we sit down to watch something we don't decide to move to another room to watch the same thing. But I guess if you want that option the you need a computer. Personally I love having that tiny atv2 box and nothing else. It's such a clean look.
Iceman72 Wrote:The reason I say you don't really need any storage is that you can watch basically everything from the repos that you can possibly desire. Now maybe have some space for photos. I did link my xbmc to a photo share on my pc. But that's about it. Since I no longer download movies to my pc I have freed up seval terabytes of storage. I just haven't found the need to store any movies or tv shows anymore. I really don't think I will ever start downloading movies again.

You can't pause it and then resume on another. But honestly how often would you do that? I pause, fast forward and rewind. That's about it. Once we sit down to watch something we don't decide to move to another room to watch the same thing. But I guess if you want that option the you need a computer. Personally I love having that tiny atv2 box and nothing else. It's such a clean look.

I can definitely see the appeal of having just that small ATV and that is actually exactly what I'll have at the different display devices. The storage computer will only be this - in my opinion - very slick case:

And that will be tucked away from the display device so it will still be a very clean look as you said Smile

It is definitely nice though to be able to get rid of all the files. I have been using spotify for music since almost a year now and it's so nice to be able to not have gigabytes of music taking up space on the computer. So I understand what you mean!
Tanax Wrote:Right, thanks a lot!
Then I guess I can skip the HTPC then since I won't need the capability to run games on the TV, I only want to be able have the TV with a nice media player and select from different movies on my storage-device and also the possibility to have several different TV's be able to access the same storage-device.

Looks like I'll only need the ATV then.
Still need a NAS though but will probably want a dedicated computer(although .. smaller since it'll be on 24/7) so I can have uTorrent and all that on it aswell.

Regarding the database, would I put that on the storage-device then?

Also a practical question regarding your system; You said before you had TV -> HTPC -> Storage, I assume the TV is connected to the HTPC with a wire then? How would you go about connecting them wirelessly?

Any "service" I need running, such as search engines for nzb/torrent, downloaders, sickbeard, sabnzb+, sql, etc... I have running on my storage machine (ubuntu 10.04 server, headless). I RARELY have to login to the console of this machine and simply ssh/putty into it when I need to do something on the command line.
fryed_1 Wrote:Any "service" I need running, such as search engines for nzb/torrent, downloaders, sickbeard, sabnzb+, sql, etc... I have running on my storage machine (ubuntu 10.04 server, headless). I RARELY have to login to the console of this machine and simply ssh/putty into it when I need to do something on the command line.

Awesome! And what about the last question in my previous post?
Connecting a TV to your PC wirelessly? I'm sure they're devices out there that do this, but I've never researched or had the need for it.

I use HDMI on the ATV devices and DVI-HDMI with passthrough audio (feature of nvidia 9800gt that allows you to connect a cable from the on-board spdif connector to the vid card to pass digital audio via DVI) for my main TV/HTPC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is XBMC for me? Newbie looking for advices0