Budget/Performance Debian Server
Well a couple days ago we had a pretty bad storm here, and the power outage ended up screwing up the Ubuntu partition and I decided it was about time for an upgrade anyways... My previous server was a 1.9GHz AMD from about 2005-6 when I started high-school haha. It was a crappy desktop my parents bought be and I ended up just using it as a Ubuntu file server and built my own desktop. Well now its a little outdated, so I figured this was the perfect opportunity to start over...

I already have my 4TB RAID5, and that is working fine so that will just be transferred to the new server once everything is up and running. I am also keeping the PSU because I just bought it last year, and the case for now.

What I did end up buying new was a CPU, RAM, and a new motherboard. So all together the parts are as follows...

1x 320GB WD Blue - $42
4x Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB - 4x$60=$240
1x ASUS M4A78LT-M - $63
1x AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz - $60
1x G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 - $37
I also had some spare 1GB sticks of DDR3, so I will have a total of 6GB
1x CyberPower 1500VA UPS Pure Sine Wave - $200
1x COOLER MASTER Elite 460W PSU - $30

The total for everything in the server comes to about $472, but thats without a case and the SATA cables I had laying around. I dont think thats too bad for the performance this thing should get. Plus as a GUI-less server a dual core 3GHz should be way overkill. Along with 6GB of DDR3

Eventually I plan to buy a new case to hold my HDD's, but that will have to wait for a little while.

For the OS I plan on install Debian 6, then adding on Samba, proftpd, Apache2 (I also use this for my website aluminas.net), SabNZBd and of course CouchPotato and SickBeard.

This is all I have for now as my stuff is still shipping from Newegg, but ill update this thread as I start. It may even turn into a bit of a tutorial...
Server - Debain Squeeze Server + 6TB RAID5 + Sabnzbd + CP & SB
HTPC - Zotac MAG + 60GB Vertex 2 SSD + OpenELEC Frodo 12.1 + Aeon Nox
HTPC 2 - AppleTV 2
Reserved.
HTPC 2 - AppleTV 2
What do you plan on doing with this "server". Because otherwise. When *I* went to school. I knew someone that ran a Raid6 on a 133 MHz P3. With Apache and Samba.
Toss in some extra CPU for Sick, SAB, Couch. You really don't need that much.

MY server. Runs Windows 7 and Ubuntu in Virtualbox. It's super over kill, but what ever.

Also, when you RAID5 your drives. I left 10GB up front for a fail safe debian install. I had 6 drives in RAID1. It had a very basic Debian install WITH all the configs for the array. That way if your boot drive bites the dust, you can still access the computer.
Code:
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON `xbmc_%`.* TO 'xbmc'@'%';
IF you have a mysql problem, find one of the 4 dozen threads already open.
darkscout Wrote:What do you plan on doing with this "server". Because otherwise. When *I* went to school. I knew someone that ran a Raid6 on a 133 MHz P3. With Apache and Samba.
Toss in some extra CPU for Sick, SAB, Couch. You really don't need that much.

MY server. Runs Windows 7 and Ubuntu in Virtualbox. It's super over kill, but what ever.

Also, when you RAID5 your drives. I left 10GB up front for a fail safe debian install. I had 6 drives in RAID1. It had a very basic Debian install WITH all the configs for the array. That way if your boot drive bites the dust, you can still access the computer.

Share (eventually) up to 10TB of files to several different mediacenters across the house, and host my webserver that hosts quite a few files for friends. I realize I could get by with some archaic computer from the 90s, but it was only $160 for the new parts and it was honestly the best deal on Newegg unless I shaved a few bucks going single core.

Its too late to leave some partition space now, I already have the RAID made with all my files on it. I don't have any configs for the array, I can just pick it up with mdadm --assemble --scan and then mount the /dev/md0 and everythings good. I already had to do it on a LiveCD to check if all my files were safe
HTPC 2 - AppleTV 2

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Budget/Performance Debian Server0