What's the best tuner to use with XBMC?
Well I've done tons of research, and finally have my first HTPC pretty much spec'ed out, save for one thing: The TV Tuner

What I'm wanting to do is be able to watch TV as well as record TV. The card I'm planning on getting is a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250, which is a dual tuner card so I can watch and record TV at the same time. My TV source will be an HD antenna.

From what I've read, sounds like XBMC hasn't fully developed to allow for this, at least easily. So my question is: What's the status on this? Does MythTV interface with XBMC so that I don't have to switch around different programs? I'm basically looking for an easy to use interface such as what comes with Win7.

I was planning on running Linux with XBMC, but the tv part is a make or break for me. Also any thoughts on the Hauppaauge card? is that good or is there something better?
I don't believe XBMC will be your problem, but you will need to look at TV backend and what they support. The current direction for PVR capabilities in XBMC is to support that functionality through add-ons for various products like Team MediaPortal, VDR, TV Headed, and MythTV, etc.

You need to check on the backend you want to run for supported hardware.

I'm using the 2250 with MediaPortal right now with success.
friedrice7 Wrote:Well I've done tons of research, and finally have my first HTPC pretty much spec'ed out, save for one thing: The TV Tuner

What I'm wanting to do is be able to watch TV as well as record TV. The card I'm planning on getting is a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250, which is a dual tuner card so I can watch and record TV at the same time. My TV source will be an HD antenna.

From what I've read, sounds like XBMC hasn't fully developed to allow for this, at least easily. So my question is: What's the status on this? Does MythTV interface with XBMC so that I don't have to switch around different programs? I'm basically looking for an easy to use interface such as what comes with Win7.

I was planning on running Linux with XBMC, but the tv part is a make or break for me. Also any thoughts on the Hauppaauge card? is that good or is there something better?

As you can see here...

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/ATSC_PCIe_Cards

Your card is fully supported in Linux. VDR can definitely do recording and watching at the same time with a dual tuner setup. I have two DVB-S2 cards and often record and watch at the same time.
I've been using a Playstation3 PlayTV with Tvheadend and XBMC on linux for a couple of months and found it to be extremely good.

It was cheap, its external but well shielded, dual tuner and is well supported by linux. It can also be made to work with windows by modifying a driver for another product based on the same chipset.

This was after testing a couple of other usb based tuners which were extremely unreliable.

Good luck!
OK let me get this straight... I'm trying to spec out my first XBMC box and also want to have live TV supported and record TV at the same time. The Hauppauge dual-tuner card mentioned above is a good one, correct? Then XBMC needs to be installed with a backed like TV Headed or something else that supports the dual tuner... correct? how do I do this part, is there a how to on that?
wlwash Wrote:OK let me get this straight... I'm trying to spec out my first XBMC box and also want to have live TV supported and record TV at the same time. The Hauppauge dual-tuner card mentioned above is a good one, correct? Then XBMC needs to be installed with a backed like TV Headed or something else that supports the dual tuner... correct? how do I do this part, is there a how to on that?

Funnily enough there's a how-to in the how-to section

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=91716
Just avoid USB cards. I have had TERRIBLE luck with those. If you lack a PCIe slot the only option is a HDHomerun.

Awesome thanks for the help! I've heard good things about the HDHomerun, but at end of the day seems like I'll have the most flexibility with the Hauppauge

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What's the best tuner to use with XBMC?0