eMachines 1401 any good?
Im running an Acer Revo 3610 (Atom330+Ion, Win7) that I got for a great price last December.

One of my family has been asking me to buying 'something like that' as a present for her husband, but unfortunately I got my Revo at a great price and they are all gone now.

I came across the eMachines 1401 for £199
Code:
AMD Athlon II Neo K325 Dual Core (K325, 1.3GHz, 1MB Cache )
NVIDIA nForce 9200
Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 64-bit
Memory    3GB
Hard Drive    500GB
Graphics    Integrated (NVIDIA GeForce 9200 Graphics)
Network Card    10/100/1000 Gigabit Fast Ethernet
Wireless LAN    802.11b/g/n
USB Ports    4x USB 2.0
Card Reader    Yes
HDMI    1x HDMI Port

I like that it's got Win7 for £199 (the person who it is a gift for would not be capable of using Linux) and I think the Neo K325 is a little faster than my Atom 330.

The only thing im not sure of is the Nvidia 9200, is it enough to accelerate H.264 1080p?

Does anyone have any opinions or experience of this?
they are post that thay work with XBMC live v10.1 o, they just need their nvidia drivers updating and bam they do 1080p and 5.1 over HDMI.

I got one on order be here tomorrow, will report back later.
might be worth mentioning that ebuyer have these for £129 at the moment..

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/267867
bertybassett Wrote:they are post that thay work with XBMC live v10.1 o, they just need their nvidia drivers updating and bam they do 1080p and 5.1 over HDMI.

I got one on order be here tomorrow, will report back later.
Thanks

james17602 Wrote:might be worth mentioning that ebuyer have these for £129 at the moment..

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/267867
Thanks, but I will get the Windows 7 model because it is a gift for someone and needs to be easy to use. Also it has wifi keyboard/mouse and bigger HDD so for an extra £70 it is worth it.
still awaiting on crappy Parcel Force to deliver it
Just got one, installing xbmc now. How do I get the updated drivers?

Thanks.
I have installed XBMC and updated the nvidia drivers using the instructions from http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu but I get nothing on the hdmi connection. Have I installed the wrong driver?

EDIT: Solved. After updating the drivers it looks like the pc connection and hdmi don't work together. Unplugged the pc cable and works ok.
Crotchwig Wrote:I have installed XBMC and updated the nvidia drivers using the instructions from http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu but I get nothing on the hdmi connection. Have I installed the wrong driver?

EDIT: Solved. After updating the drivers it looks like the pc connection and hdmi don't work together. Unplugged the pc cable and works ok.

And how is it with 1080p content?
Not quite there yet... Trying to get the sound working over HDMI.
Crotchwig Wrote:Not quite there yet... Trying to get the sound working over HDMI.

Mine is on its way and I am interested to hear your feedback concerning the 1080p content, also by the HDMI audio configuration Smile

I intend to use it as a HTPC/Emulation platform and my plan is to go first with XBMC Live to do so.
I got mine last week from ebuyer.

Experienced some tearing @ 1080 so knocked it down to 720 and it runs like a dream.

Mine is setup with Win7 Ult - also installed vmware server and have a w2k3 server running in the back ground that deals with some low resource services. Even with that - runs like a dream.

Uses about 36watts power according to my plug in adapter.
Crotchwig Wrote:Not quite there yet... Trying to get the sound working over HDMI.

See my blog here:

Setting up an eMachine 1401 as a MythTV/XBMC media centre

Have just finished setting one up

Martin
bump, highly reccomended then?

its at 120 ATM!!!
aoaaron Wrote:bump, highly reccomended then?

its at 120 ATM!!!

Indeed! And now even cheaper......
awesome. which OS do you reccomend I install? I want sharp and quick. I'm very familiar with windows 7 and resolving network issues etc. with it, the only problem is I presume the boot times are a lot longer than XBMC live etc.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
eMachines 1401 any good?0