eMachines 1401 any good?
thank you.

btw i just checked... just browsing the menus in xbmc causes my CPU to jump to 50%? is there something wrong? is that a driver issue or is it normal on these smaller setups?

does DDS fanart work for the covers etc.?

I'm thinking about using the ReFocus skin and just removing fanart because the interface for that itself looks pretty nice, j/w if the DDS script will still help me a lot.. hopefully it will.

also if i'm using VPAU, in theory XBMC should be smashing out my 720p MKV/blueray rips right?
I've just received one of these which I plan to use in another room and to share the library with my existing Revo 3610. For the revo I used XBMCFreak and haven't had any issues with it. I'd like to use live again as I find that gives me the best speed and remote options (standby, shutdown, wake via remote etc.) but i'm not sure what Live distro to use? The way I see it I have 3 options

1. XBMCLive
2. XBMCFreak
3. OpenElec

I don't need a full on GUI at the backend as I only use the machines for XBMC so is anyone able to advise which would be most suited to the 1401 and give the best options for upgrading the software in the future and accessing all add-ons etc.

Thanks!
aoaaron Wrote:thank you.

btw i just checked... just browsing the menus in xbmc causes my CPU to jump to 50%? is there something wrong? is that a driver issue or is it normal on these smaller setups?

Normal.

Quote:does DDS fanart work for the covers etc.?

I think so, yes.

Quote:also if i'm using VPAU, in theory XBMC should be smashing out my 720p MKV/blueray rips right?

1080p even.

PHTC Wrote:I've just received one of these which I plan to use in another room and to share the library with my existing Revo 3610. For the revo I used XBMCFreak and haven't had any issues with it. I'd like to use live again as I find that gives me the best speed and remote options (standby, shutdown, wake via remote etc.) but i'm not sure what Live distro to use? The way I see it I have 3 options

1. XBMCLive
2. XBMCFreak
3. OpenElec

I don't need a full on GUI at the backend as I only use the machines for XBMC so is anyone able to advise which would be most suited to the 1401 and give the best options for upgrading the software in the future and accessing all add-ons etc.

Thanks!

Decided to opt of XBMCFreak and seems to be running well if anyones interested. Had to alter 1 setting to allow the machine to shutdown from xbmc but other than that streaming 1080p with audio over HDMI.
PHTC Wrote:Decided to opt of XBMCFreak and seems to be running well if anyones interested. Had to alter 1 setting to allow the machine to shutdown from xbmc but other than that streaming 1080p with audio over HDMI.

how did you get wifi working on XBMC freak?
Major Props Poofy and Eskro! Check out their sigs for the best help/advice.
aoaaron Wrote:how did you get wifi working on XBMC freak?

What machine are you running it on? Mythbuntu/XBMC - wireless works with no issues on a Revo 3610 and an eMachine 1401. Needed a couple of tweaks on the Revo 3700
I see. I didn't try XBMC freak or mythbuntu.

On ubuntu I had to install drivers though.

Is mythbuntu better than ubuntu/Win7?
aoaaron Wrote:I see. I didn't try XBMC freak or mythbuntu.

On ubuntu I had to install drivers though.

Is mythbuntu better than ubuntu/Win7?

Mythbuntu is just Ubuntu packaged as MythTV install...I run Mythtv/XBMC on my boxes

As for Win7 I find it runs XBMC slower than Linux on my laptop but I dont really do a lot with it on them its more for play value
aoaaron I feel bad for you having so many problems..... maybe no one should buy what you got. I never liked eMachines...
lol i dont know if thats sarcasm or not but tbh its a bit of stupidity for me!

xbmc live/openelec/ ubuntu = +sound fix +wireless driver + wrong resolution on tvs
windows worked out of the box perfect.. just a bit slow/laggy
MartinHJ Wrote:Mythbuntu is just Ubuntu packaged as MythTV install...I run Mythtv/XBMC on my boxes

As for Win7 I find it runs XBMC slower than Linux on my laptop but I dont really do a lot with it on them its more for play value

can you play 1080p? aka planet earth/avatar?
hi guys, what are the average temps for you?

I've just got a er1401 and in the bios it states 47-52c temp for cpu, I've only just switched it on too! Is this normal?

thx.
hr21 Wrote:hi guys, what are the average temps for you?

I've just got a er1401 and in the bios it states 47-52c temp for cpu, I've only just switched it on too! Is this normal?

thx.

nope. Well I say no, but the smartfan control in the bios doesn't switch the fan on, or doesn't switch it to a level to keep it cool. My first one died for this reason. I turned the setting off and used a program in windows to control the fan. It's not whisper quiet anymore but because I'm using 64 bit windows it more resource heavy than xbmc live or linux and thats something I have to live with
aoaaron Wrote:thank you.

Its normal, it's because of the way XBMC is coded. It was originally coded for the original Xbox so it runs in a game loop, constantly redrawing the screen.

Search for 'dirty regions' if you want to try the fix but I think you need a nightly.
defluo Wrote:nope. Well I say no, but the smartfan control in the bios doesn't switch the fan on, or doesn't switch it to a level to keep it cool. My first one died for this reason. I turned the setting off and used a program in windows to control the fan. It's not whisper quiet anymore but because I'm using 64 bit windows it more resource heavy than xbmc live or linux and thats something I have to live with

what are your temps in the bios?

I'll turn off the smartfan,

should I turn off cool n quiet too?

ALso, is there a linux (open elec) vers of something to help with the temps?

edit: turned off smartfan & cool n quiet, machine no longer quiet but seems to be moving enough air now unlike before.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
eMachines 1401 any good?0