thoughts on specs
Hi!

I am going to buy a used mac mini (årsmodell) to use as a mediaserver for 720p movies with apple tv 2. I have a solid internet connection (10mbit) wired connection. And i was wondering wether these specs are good enough:

Specs:
-Intel Core2Duo
-2 Mhz
-160 GB harddisk
-2 GB SDRAM

Anyone have any thoughts?
Should be fine, but rather expensive to function as a media server only. I hope you use it for more than serving files to the ATV2.
kjenyg Wrote:Hi!

I am going to buy a used mac mini (årsmodell) to use as a mediaserver for 720p movies with apple tv 2. I have a solid internet connection (10mbit) wired connection. And i was wondering wether these specs are good enough:

Specs:
-Intel Core2Duo
-2 Mhz
-160 GB harddisk
-2 GB SDRAM

Anyone have any thoughts?

To answer the question, yes.
For me, real lack of space and expandability for a server. If you're only streaming music and a bunch of SD movies then go for it but honestly, the mac mini for me would only ever be a highly premium htpc/player. it would never function as a server.
humm;

4 to 5 usb ports, check.
1 firewire port, check.

I see nothing here that limits expansion, in fact the firewire port mean essentially infinite expansion in terms of disk space.
Thanks for the info. I have all my ripped blurays (4TB) on two external drives so internal storrage is not a issue.

In my mind we are going to have to use external drives for storrage for some more years. Yes ssd is coming to everyone, but it is still expensive. And the way things are going I cant justify upgrading internal storrage on a htpc with a spinning 2 tb harddive. I will continue using big external drives until 2tb internal ssd drives are cheap enough...

Thanks again!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
thoughts on specs0