got a ER1401 on order is it worth fitting an SSD drive?
Got an one of these being delivered tomorrow (fingers crossed).

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/267867

Spec
AMD Athlon Dual Core K325
2GB RAM
250GB HDD 2.5 sata
NVIDIA GeForce 9200
HDMI
Linpus 9.5 Linux

Now my question is do you think it is worth putting an SSD HD in? If so is this one fastest enough? Local storage isn't a problem as i use a NAS.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/248353

Spec

Sequential read throughput — 230 MB/s read

Sequential write throughput —75 MB/s write

Do you think I will see much improvement on the whole system? i.e faster boot up, faster menu scrolling? Or do I need a much faster SSD drive?
Guess nobody knows the answer so I'll just have to buy the ssd and try it.
Bootup will be quick anyway, especially with something stripped-down (like OpenElec) and you can leave it in standby most of the time for instant startup.

Personally I wouldn't.
thanks for the reply.

You just saved me £40

How about an additional 2Gb of memory, do you think that will be worth it? I'm guessing not.
I say try what you get. If you want more, then upgrade.
thanks for the reply yes I should be testing today depending on whether Parcel Force deliveries or not.

Just out of interest am I correct in thinking that the SSD that is linked too above would be about twice as fast at booting when compared to the standard 2.5 sata HD in the eMachine.
bertybassett Wrote:thanks for the reply.

You just saved me £40

How about an additional 2Gb of memory, do you think that will be worth it? I'm guessing not.

No, 2GB is plenty.

If you find the menus a little bit sluggish, try the GPU-accelerated fanart (dds format). On my revo I found that fanart was a little slow to load, but then as soon as I enabled dds it was instant.

That said, the K325 is faster than the Atom330 in my Revo so maybe fanart will be plenty quick anyway.
its been delivered (yeah). At work at present so will test tonight. So far I have create 3 usb pens to test out tonight.

1) 10.1 live (will try as stable then update to nightly). Will also update nvidia drivers to help with high bit rate 1080p video.
2) openelec generic
3) openelec generic nightly

Most likely I'll go with 10.1 live because I can update to nightly builds without having to re-install the OS each time but we'll see tonight.

Any know if that SSD is faster booting that the normal HD?
how about booting from a fast 2Gb SD card? Would that be faster than the standard HD?
SSD has other benefits, no noise or heat, my build boots in less than 20 seconds with one (about 27 seconds for a reboot from main xbmc screen). tbh there's no need for speed with me as the projector takes twice as long to warm up heh
bertybassett Wrote:Any know if that SSD is faster booting that the normal HD?

Its faster for sure, but only you can make the decision about how much money that is worth to you. When I am finished with my HTPC most of the time I use suspend rather than a full shutdown. So boot time isn't really important to me. But everybody will have different preferences.
bertybassett Wrote:1) 10.1 live (will try as stable then update to nightly). Will also update nvidia drivers to help with high bit rate 1080p video.
2) openelec generic
3) openelec generic nightly

Most likely I'll go with 10.1 live because I can update to nightly builds without having to re-install the OS each time but we'll see tonight.

openelec can be updated/downgraded very fast and easy, much faster then xbmc-live or any other distro. see here: http://openelec.tv/installation/updating
greetings, Stephan

tested the machine last night and I must say I am impressed.

I updated the Nvidia drivers to the latest version and I had 1080p video running without any problems, I must point out I did not try 1080p directly from XBMC live with the default shipped Nvidia drivers.

5.1 sound via the HDMI cable without any fiddling (well I spent 3 years fiddling but that my fault because I had my amp set to audio = optical, d'oh).

The device is very quiet less that my PS3 until you try something processor intensive, like scrapping the library. Then it becomes just a tad louder than my PS3 but certainly not as loud as my xbox slim. Once you are playing a film it is unnoticeable.

The device is perfect performance wise, the menus are slick and don't not stutter or stick (unlike my does Revo 3610) therefore I do not see any need for more memory.

I am going to fit the SSD to keep the temps down to help prevent the fan from coming on as I am a noise freak but to honest I could like with the fan coming on as its not too loud. the bonus too this is I will have the old 2.5 sata HD to use as an external drive.

Overall when considering the price I aware this device 9.5 out of 10. This is almost the prefect XBMC machine. If they had included an MCE remote then it would have been 10 out of 10

P.S. It doesn't come with any mouse or keyboard, so don't forget to order one from ebuyer.com
sraue Wrote:openelec can be updated/downgraded very fast and easy, much faster then xbmc-live or any other distro. see here: http://openelec.tv/installation/updating

Must say the device failed to sleep when using openelec generic build (xbmc live had no problems) might try the ION2 build tonight.
bertybassett Wrote:I am going to fit the SSD to keep the temps down to help prevent the fan from coming on as I am a noise freak but to honest I could like with the fan coming on as its not too loud. the bonus too this is I will have the old 2.5 sata HD to use as an external drive.

I don't believe the SSD will change the fan activity. The fan is triggered by CPU and GPU temperatures and maybe a mobo sensor.

Yes a SSD might run cooler than a spinning-platter disc, but only a little bit and it will have negligible effect on anything else including ambient temp inside the chassis.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
got a ER1401 on order is it worth fitting an SSD drive?0