Live TV: SD Show on a HD Channel on a SD TV. Help!
I know this isn't probably Linux-specific, and I know I'm a dying breed with this issue, but...

We haven't been able to afford to enter the HDTV revolution yet, so we just have an old Standard Def TV. We've also got a computer that can do TV output. So, we got a Digital TV tuner/capture device for the computer, and I set up XBMC on Linux to use Live TV. As it's a 4:3 SD TV, I'm using a 4:3 resolution. Well, everything works great, except that when we are viewing an HD channel that's showing an SD TV show on it, it not only has the black bars on top to display the widescreen format on a 4:3 screen, but it also has the black bars on the side to display a 4:3 show on a widescreen channel. The effect is that the show is very hard to watch as it's really small.

Do you know if there's a way to quickly zoom in to make these shows full screen again? I tried XBMC's normal Zoom function, but it zooms EVERYTHING, including the XBMC interface, but it doesn't zoom in enough to make the show full screen. I'd like something akin to the zoom function you get on most HDTV's, where, with a click of a button, you can zoom into a show that is, for example, a widescreen movie on a 4:3 DVD player. I need a similar effect here.

If I try to switch to a 16:9 resolution, it fills the vertical space, but not the horizontal space, and it's stretched vertically on the screen. Really funky.

I hope all this makes sense! Anyway, any ideas (besides getting an HDTV)? Thanks!
you could try the "crop black bars" option in video settings. maybe it helps.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Live TV: SD Show on a HD Channel on a SD TV. Help!0