Filesharing solutions from Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)
Memphiz Wrote:You are missing the fact, that this thread is inside the ios forum. So only XBMC on ios (ipad, iphone, appletv 2g) have problems with lion smb sharing Smile.

If you use XBMC on Windows - then you might have luck ...

Oh for goodness sake! Didnt even realize what section I was in. Sorry all and good luck.
so which protocol has the fastest library updating and fastest speeds overall?
--
Looking for some help, I am having problems telling my apple TV what server it should be looking at on my mac. I am now running Mediamaster but I am unsure what info I am looking for and in what app on my apple TV I should be entering it? I have file sharing on I keep getting Error 2 share not available.
Thank you for your timeSmile
J.A.M Wrote:Looking for some help, I am having problems telling my apple TV what server it should be looking at on my mac. I am now running Mediamaster but I am unsure what info I am looking for and in what app on my apple TV I should be entering it? I have file sharing on I keep getting Error 2 share not available.
Thank you for your timeSmile

Note in the first post it says: "If you need support, please ask your question in the specific thread. Thanks."

The reason we say that is not only does it help keep things organized, but a step by step guide is included in the thread for webDAV/MediaMaster Server: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=8...post854052

If you need more help than that then just ask in that thread and we'll be happy to help you.
prophetizer Wrote:so which protocol has the fastest library updating and fastest speeds overall?

I really do not know !! If you plan to test them all, please let us know. Wink
I add one share possibility: reactivate native FTP server in Lion.

It seems that it shares the same folders with SMB and FTP (as in Snow Leopard). I do not remember if the guest account is activated for this FTP access... but your session login must work fine.
Memphiz Wrote:You are missing the fact, that this thread is inside the ios forum. So only XBMC on ios (ipad, iphone, appletv 2g) have problems with lion smb sharing Smile.

If you use XBMC on Windows - then you might have luck ...

Just to clarify the statement here: accessing SMB sharing from a Lion server from within XBMC is a no go no matter what OS the user is on. However, in Windows you can locally map/mount SMB shares and then point XBMC to those "local" drives. In Mac OS X you can do this same local-mount trick with SMB or AFP.

Mac/Windows XBMC users (client side of the Lion share) will still likely want to explore the solutions listed in the main post of this thread. They are the most cross-platform friendly as each of these solutions are using XBMC itself to make the network connection. If you use mysql DB sharing in XBMC then you will have to use these solutions.
mindbomb Wrote:I tried the super easy WebDAV solution with my XBMC@Atv2 & MediaMaster Server, it works fine and I can see my files and even play them. The TV/Movies scrapers also collect information (though it sometimes fails) from the files but the library mode playback never works, I can see my TV shows episodes sorted by seasons but the playback does not work - it always displays "the file no longer exists - do you want to delete it from the library?" when I try to play it via file mode it works just fine.

Any solution to that?

I have this same issue as well. Any possible solutions out there?
eddychan Wrote:I have this same issue as well. Any possible solutions out there?

try FTP. Wink
eddychan Wrote:I have this same issue as well. Any possible solutions out there?

Go to the thread about that solution, describe your situation, post XBMC.log file with debugging on.

Yes, I had that issue as well. The solution that I found was going to "Get Info" on that episode and selecting "Play" there... while annoying, it worked.

I then switched back over to SMB though b/c it seemed to handle better using that protocol. I'm still not quite sure of which method of Filehsharing rates the best using iMac > Airport Extreme (wired) > ATV2/XBMC (wired). Anyone have stats or "know" which format is best for that architecture? Thanks!
ebbandflow Wrote:Yes, I had that issue as well. The solution that I found was going to "Get Info" on that episode and selecting "Play" there... while annoying, it worked.

I then switched back over to SMB though b/c it seemed to handle better using that protocol. I'm still not quite sure of which method of Filehsharing rates the best using iMac > Airport Extreme (wired) > ATV2/XBMC (wired). Anyone have stats or "know" which format is best for that architecture? Thanks!

We need you guys to provide debug logs (at the very least. More info will always help) because these results are abnormal. We can't fix things if we don't know what's happening on your copy of XBMC, which is what the debug log does: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=846403&postcount=4
Sure, I can get a debug log to you but I was inquiring about which file sharing methodology rated the best (performance-wise) for my architecture (iMac > Airport Extreme (wired) > ATV2/XBMC (wired)). A log wouldn't really alter that answer. ;-)
Is there going to be a support of SMBX within XBMC, or some other kind of compatibility with OSX Lion's Samba-Technology?

I've managed to connect via FTP, UPnP and webdav. But none of these options allow me to delete files, they don't even remember what I've already watched or at which timestamp I last stopped viewing a file. Samba was also quicker navigating a folder structure, as I remember it.

I hesitate to install Samba via Macports on my OSX, since I have no clue what it does to my system in terms of security (open ports = open holes = security breaches? Dunno!)

Anything planned to enable Samba with OSX Lion, or is there another solution I haven't thought of?
Romanes eunt domus
skippr Wrote:Is there going to be a support of SMBX within XBMC, or some other kind of compatibility with OSX Lion's Samba-Technology?

I've managed to connect via FTP, UPnP and webdav. But none of these options allow me to delete files, they don't even remember what I've already watched or at which timestamp I last stopped viewing a file. Samba was also quicker navigating a folder structure, as I remember it.

I hesitate to install Samba via Macports on my OSX, since I have no clue what it does to my system in terms of security (open ports = open holes = security breaches? Dunno!)

Anything planned to enable Samba with OSX Lion, or is there another solution I haven't thought of?

Any support for SMB 2.0 (which is what 10.7 is using) has to come from the Samba people. XBMC does not make it's own SMB client, but just uses a standard Samba library.

I don't know about FTP and UPnP, but webDAV (via MediaMaster Server) does save all my watched and unwatched ticks and let's me resume where I left off. Yes, they don't let you delete files, but most people don't delete files directly from the XBMC interface. It's much easier to manage files from a computer (even for a NAS). As far as SMB being quicker.. I kind of doubt that, but I honestly have no actual data to back that up. SMB isn't exactly the best preforming network protocol out there, though.

Installing Samba on your computer doesn't open ports on your network. That's not what the "port" in MacPorts means. Most ISPs block SMB/Samba completely (major virus long ago spread that way), so you can't even use it outside of your local network.

Right now FTP, webDAV, and UPnP are all kind of temp solutions. NFS is a nice protocol, but right now can be a bit of a challenge to set up.

There are... other options.. but they're not out yet. All very hush hush early planning stuff. Keep your eyes out on the forums and maybe sometime in the near future (maybe) something could pop up that makes all of this a non-issue ;)

*red snipper dot appears on Ned's head*

Oh god I've said too much

But no, really, the devs are hard at work at some neat stuff, but there's no ETA on it. We can hope, though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Filesharing solutions from Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion)0