netbook for HTPC
I already have made my HTPC based on asus AT5IONT board.
But a friend of mine told me yesterday that there is no need of ITX board based HTPC because it is possible to achieve the same performance with a netbook.

What do you think?
If you get a ION based (or similar AMD) netbook it would be fine too.. but let's be serious. If you want something nice and good looking, a netbook is not the way to go.

Some people may choose the netbook approach because they are on a budget and need/want both a netbook and XBMC and solve it that way..

It's really up to you. For me, the extra money spent on an HTPC is well worth it and I wouldn't consider anything other than a dedicated machine for that purpose.
If I lived alone and wanted/needed a netbook for daily activities outside the house/apartment or away from the TV, this might be a compelling solution for the budget minded. If I were still in college and living by myself in an apartment, for example, I can see this arrangement working.

That said, if you don't live alone then anyone at home wanting to use XBMC is SOL anytime you're away from home with netbook in tow.

If you're planning on permanently parking the netbook and looking at it as a pure budget alternative to a mini-itx build, there's a good chance there's not much savings to be had. Netbooks with HD capable graphics, especially HD capable graphics that play nicely with XBMC, don’t fall on the low-end of the price range.

For pure budget purpose an ATV2 is a much better solution assuming network accessible storage isn’t a problem.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
netbook for HTPC0