Ripping Blueray
I'm sure this is rediculously simple, but I have been trying to rip my blueray movies to file so I can play them back with XBMC. I don't want to use any external programs to run it. I am a huge fan of using iso files, but know that currently XBMC won't play blueray iso's. I have anyDVDHD and Handbrake for ripping. The issue I currently have is, first I rip the .iso, then use handbrake to rip that .iso to an mkv file. sounds like it should work, however, XBMC does nto play the file. What's even more strange is, when I click preview in handbrake, it creates a 60 second preview of whatever section of the movie I want and stores the file in the same format. This preview is able to be played through XBMC for some reason. Any ideas?
I'm not sure what's going on but I can offer a simpler solution... Try out MakeMKV it's very easy and I've no issues with the files produced.

Good luck!
Assuming that Mortikai don't want to waste 30-40 GByte of hard disk space for a single movie, MakeMKV isn't the right tool because it will not encode the movie to a more space efficient format like h264.

Although Handbrake should do it right, for BluRays I recommend BluRip.

Cheers,
Zap
"Programming is like s*e*x, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life" - Mike Sinz
Space isn't that big of a deal, but of course i would like to limit it without loss if i can. Thank you both for your help. I tried makemkv last night and it was very simple and worked as stated. However, the subtitles were not removed. It may have been something i did, i was in a rush when i did it. I will try blurip tonight and reply back with how it works. Thank you both again!
Why do you want subtitles removed? They barely take up any space so you won't save much by removing them. Just leave them turned off if you don;t use them.
If file size isn't a big deal for you, then you might want to stick with MakeMKV because it's the easiest tool for ripping a BluRay to MKV. With MakeMKV you can select or deselect any stream of the BluRay, so of course you can deselect any subtitle stream if you don't want them.

With BluRip you can do very much the same. But BluRip has a little bit higher learning curve, so you should take your time when testing BluRip. The advantage over MakeMKV is the ability, to encode (shrink) your BluRay movies to a size between 4 and 8 Gbyte, depending on the chosen encoding profile and the source material. Regarding picture quality, I can barely see the difference between the original and the encoding on my 47" full hd screen. But, with BluRip you can also chose not to encode and you will get the full size mkv file much like as with MakeMKV. And, BluRip is freeware. Smile

Cheers,
Zap
"Programming is like s*e*x, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life" - Mike Sinz
I've been using AnyDVD and HandBrakeCLI for converting my Bluray collection to MKVs for use in XBMC for a few weeks now. I've got the process down fairly well. Here's what I use in case you are interested:

Rip the Bluray to an ISO with AnyDVD on my windows box to my server (Ubuntu powerhouse).

Run the following commands on the server to find the title information and audio tracks I want:
mount /media/bigdisk/video/ISOs/up.ISO /media/Bluray -o loop
HandBrakeCLI --scan -t `HandBrakeCLI --scan --main-feature -i /media/Bluray 2>&1 1> /dev/null |grep "Found main feature title, setting title to "| cut -d" " -f8` -i /media/Bluray

The first command mounts the ISO (windows equivalent to using clonecd...)
The second does two things, first, in the section between the `s, it looks for the main title, then returns the details of that title, like languages for the audio and chapters, as well as the title number. I then make note of which audio tracks I want and which title it is.

Then run the final command below:
HandBrakeCLI --format mkv --markers --encoder x264 -b 8100 --two-pass -a 1,4,5 --aencoder copy -x ref=1:bframes=0Confusedubq=6:mixed-refs=0:weightb=0:8x8dct=0:cabac=0:weightp=0:me=dia -i /media/Bluray -o /media/bigdisk/video/Movie\ DVDs/Up.mkv --title 93

This creates ~9GB file for a movie with acceptable quality for myself and my wife on a 1080p projector on a 110" screen, so fairly good.

The parameters of these can be converted to the windows Handbrake if needed; I just prefer batching my conversions on my powerhouse.

My next task is to figure out how to easily rip the subtitles to add for my foreign films Smile
Here another solution:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=519471&postcount=1
Well, many ways lead to Rome... ;-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ripping Blueray0