Psu Advice
I can't compare the Antec and Corsair, but I do have an Antec Earth Watts 380 (often recommended in these parts) in a desktop/server build, and although its a fine PSU in that context I wouldn't use one in my HTPC as it's too noisy ... bearing in mind, of course, that "noisy" is highly subjective!

If quietness is a high priority then:

- if you want a picoPSU and are forced to a larger capacity, then beware of external bricks with very noisy fans (they will be small and therefore inherently noisy!)

- yes, there are totally silent PSUs. I considered a couple but worried about getting the heat out ... remember that at typical usage (well under 100W) you will be out of any PSU's optimum efficiency range. They were also a little expensive. You need to think very carefully about how they will work in your chosen case.

- there are also semi-fanless PSUs, which seem like a good idea: they have a fan but don't run it unless it's needed

- there are also PSUs with very low fan speed at low load, which is where I ended up - if the revs are low enough, you won't hear the fan but it can shift a decent amount of heat.
ceejay Wrote:yes, there are totally silent PSUs. I considered a couple but worried about getting the heat out ... remember that at typical usage (well under 100W) you will be out of any PSU's optimum efficiency range. They were also a little expensive. You need to think very carefully about how they will work in your chosen case.

- there are also semi-fanless PSUs, which seem like a good idea: they have a fan but don't run it unless it's needed

- there are also PSUs with very low fan speed at low load, which is where I ended up - if the revs are low enough, you won't hear the fan but it can shift a decent amount of heat.
if you want to pay a little more, there are all kind of fanless (no fan meaning completely silent) power supplies. i recommend this one- SeaSonic X series SS-400FL Active PFC F3 400W
only thing noisy in my HTPC was the CPU COOLER,,,
easy fix was to speed down its FAN using an app called HardwareMonitor...

Also, u can go fanless as much as you like but,
in a tiny case, heat will build up. you'd still need to have some fan somewhere,,,
eskro Wrote:Also, u can go fanless as much as you like but,
in a tiny case, heat will build up. you'd still need to have some fan somewhere,,,

A decent fanless PSU will have a mounted external heatsink to bring its heat outside the case.

Honestly though PSUs with 120mm fans are pretty quiet.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Psu Advice0