Apple TV2 streaming from HDD on Apple TV1 issue with buffering
I have an Apple TV2 with XBMC (used seasonpass to JB). I have tested with Netflix, tested with streaming from iTunes (on a PC with Win7) and tested with an SMB share using AVI files. All works perfectly in XBMC video. I also have an AppleTV 1 with the ATV Flash installed and an external 1TB hard drive and XBMC playback on this works fine from the HDD. I have added a location in XBMC for ATV2 which is the ATV1 IP address and using frontrow for user name and passowrd I can connect to the ATV1 external drive and stream data straight from it to the XBMC on ATV2. Only problem is the buffering. I am on a wired 100Base T network and I cannot seem to get the data off the HDD connected to ATV1 fast enough to stream to ATV2. Can anyone help? Is there a better way to do this or should I just connect the 1TB drive to a windows PC and share to both ATV's using an SMB share from the Windows box?
dnachman Wrote:...or should I just connect the 1TB drive to a windows PC and share to both ATV's using an SMB share from the Windows box?

This would be the first thing I test. There may be a hardware/performance bottleneck within the ATV1 somewhere between the USB drive and the network connection, possibly due to minimal physical memory?

That said, I understand the desire to use the ATV1 as a NAS to avoid the need for an always-on PC. Other alternatives are a USB NAS device (like PogoPlug), or a router with built-in USB NAS functionality.
Thanks, do you know of an easy way to test this?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV2 streaming from HDD on Apple TV1 issue with buffering0