best box to get xbmc
hi i'm evaluating my needs.

basically i need a xbmc device that will run live, not loaded within a host OS. As a standalone machine, that will stream videos from my whs2011 server

I bought the wdtv live, and thought meh and returning it, because it's too limited. there are so many cool channels on xbmc like tedtalks, techcrunch, and others that i love to watch, and wdtv is far too fidgity and needs tweaks to get these channels to work.

i read up a lot about acer revo nettops, and everyone seems to harp on about the r3700, it's quite expensive retail in the uk, but i can get a r36oo for a reasonable price, performance wyse if i wasto run the xbmc as a standalone, will i noticed much difference?

what other options are available to me?
How much do you want to spend because I wouldn't call the 3700 expensive myself makes it easier to narrow things down if you give a price otherwise your get recommendations outside your budget Smile
Current HTPC Lian-Li PC-C37 • Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H • Intel C2D E8400 E0 Stepping • OCZ Vertex SSD • 4GB Corsair TwinX XMS2 DDR2 • Corsair HX650W Modular PSU (Free Upgrade) • LG CH08LS10 Blu-Ray Drive • Scythe Big Shuriken • Acousti DustPROOF 70mm Fan
£130 max, r3700 is around £200
Sounds to me like the ATV2 is what you want.
IOERROR Wrote:Sounds to me like the ATV2 is what you want.

+1

ATV2 is ideal for client use with network attached storage, especially for secondary screens around the house. I sold a Revo AR3610 and used the funds to buy two ATV2s and a new router with built in USB NAS functionality. I couldn't be happier. If I don't toss a Blu-Ray drive in my main HTPC in the Theater, I'll probably end up replacing it with an ATV2 as well. Unless you're viewing native BD rips on a 100"+ screen from a 1080p projector or have an older display lacking HDMI, I can't see any major advantages of a full-blown HTPC for playback and core XBMC functionality.
Hi,

The eMachine ER1401 nettop from eBuyer is currently £130:

http://www.ebuyer.com/267867-emachine-er...-004?hpb=2

Free Delivery if you select the correct option at checkout.

This seems to have a good spec (more powerful than Atom), and may be ideal for what you want (although I don't have personal experience with it). It seems to be getting good reviews at least.

Kind regards,

Adam.
thanks for the feedback, the atv2 setup looks the most appealing, i plan to run it in a DVI-D monitor using a HDMI to DVI cable. I had problems doing this with the WDTV live, is it possible for me to do this with APTV2, and outptut the audio via optical.
Assuming the monitor has HDCP for the DVI input, you shouldn't have any problem. If the monitor doesn't have HDCP, it's probable that the ATV2 would default to 480p output.
the emachine was way better value than the aTV2.
aoaaron Wrote:the emachine was way better value than the aTV2.

Highly subjective and completely depends on the intended use...
IsleOfMan Wrote:Highly subjective and completely depends on the intended use...

What do you mean? Could you elaborate
hr21 Wrote:What do you mean? Could you elaborate

If you don't need the features or performance offered by the more expensive option, then the added cost makes it a poorer value... wouldn't you say so?

For example, the ATV2 does everything I need it to on my secondary displays (master bedroom, kids' bedroom, living room, all 720p and connected to network storage). Spending any more than $100 (or less refurbished) would be wasteful because the added features would be superfluous and unused.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
best box to get xbmc0