Odd Question: Why do we use HTPCs?
I understand if your HTPC also acts as a server so then you may want an HTPC. Or if you Want 3D playback as well.. But Everyone seems pretty happy and content with using either a Nettop or an Apple TV 2 for xbmc so for people not looking for 3D or want to use it as a Media server why build an HTPC?

I ask myself why I built one when a nettop for a third of the price or an apple tv would of done the same job. Also these devices are alot smaller and portable as well vs. a pc in your living room.

Especially when Apple tv 3 comes out Im sure they will be upgrading to A5 chip or maybe higher and then it should work even better with xbmc. I imagine the more apple and nettops update their devices the better and better they get with xbmc. If the next Apple tv can do 3D maybe there wont be need for HTPCs at all..

Maybe Im just missing something cause Im new to the HTPC scene. Also I know this is in the wrong Section I tried to put it in the Off Topic but it wouldnt let me post. And before I buy a couple of Apple TV'2s I just wondering why more people dont go that route.
With the current Apple TV there are problems. I've read full HD isn't always as fluid as it should be, I've read of crashes and currently it can only output to 720p.

The nettops are slow... they mostly work, but the atom is a very weak processor.

As for building a machine.. yep, if you want the smallest posible one, it won't be the one you build yourself, but other than that.... you can get the case you like best. Why? Because it's red, because it pairs nicely with your avr, because it is silent, because it fits those old parts you had lying around or because it's just a nice case.

The facts are you can build yourself an HTPC machine which is faster, runs cooler, is more quiet and is cheaper than some nettops around. Not bad eh?
While the atv2 is not perfect, it does a pretty good job. Some are interested in perfection so they build the uber HTPC and watch the killer sample over and over Smile
Apple Tv can output 1080p? No. Can it do HD audio bitstreaming? No. Can it run XBMC perfectly fluent, anytime any skin? No.
Nettops? Those are HTPCs, x86 Intel Atom CPUs with Nvidia ION Graphics.
Thanks everyone for your replies. As many bad comments about apple tv 2 as there is there are also good comments that people LOVE it and it works great!

Guess I'll keep my htpc Smile and be happy with it lol
'cause I don't want to give Apple any of my money!? Big Grin
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
thethirdnut Wrote:'cause I don't want to give Apple any of my money!? Big Grin

doesnt have to be apple. Could be even a nettop which is still a third of the cost of a lot of custom built HTPCS and a quarter of the size Smile

I think Ill keep my HTPC and do Nettops for secondary tv's in the house since apparently ATV2's lag a bit and have some issues.
toymachine2009 Wrote:doesnt have to be apple. Could be even a nettop which is still a third of the cost of a lot of custom built HTPCS and a quarter of the size Smile

I think Ill keep my HTPC and do Nettops for secondary tv's in the house since apparently ATV2's lag a bit and have some issues.

Agreed with some of the nettop points.

I'll also defer to SpectreX's response too. There are a lot of us folk that do prefer the DIY route - the tinkering is educational and fun for the most part. Time and money are the only real constraints - just like everything else. ;-)

Plus with the nettop route your upgrade path is usually very limited since all the hardware is very customized. You spend money on a quality - albeit likely much bigger - case and you can reuse that and the PSU, fans, etc even when it comes time for an upgrade. An older, custom-built nettop will be only be as capable as it currently is.
If I helped out pls give me a +

A bunch of XBMC instances, big-ass screen in the basement + a 20TB FreeBSD, ZFS server.
thethirdnut Wrote:Agreed with some of the nettop points.

I'll also defer to SpectreX's response too. There are a lot of us folk that do prefer the DIY route - the tinkering is educational and fun for the most part. Time and money are the only real constraints - just like everything else. ;-)

Plus with the nettop route your upgrade path is usually very limited since all the hardware is very customized. You spend money on a quality - albeit likely much bigger - case and you can reuse that and the PSU, fans, etc even when it comes time for an upgrade. An older, custom-built nettop will be only be as capable as it currently is.

Oh I agree I prefer DIY as much as possible not just for HTPC but for most things I rather build or put it together myself! Which is why I am glad I did mine. But I wouldnt build one for every tv in the house either ha. Rest of the TV's will most likely get Nettops!

Which actually leads me into another question. My house is not wired with Cat6 cables so I do my streaming wirelessly which has been working great. I have the WNDR3700 Netgear Router which has been working great. But the signal strength is not far enough to reach the entire house.

Any ideas to get signal out further or a device to extend it... I took my old Netgear router And set that up as a repeater and it repeated the signal just at 1Mbps speed which is suppper slow considering my internet speed is about 25Mbps. Internet doesnt even really move at 1Mbps. If this router reached further it would be perfect.
because i'm a diy person...i built htpc's, fixed cars, planted trees, built speaker cables, ripped out carpet and replaced it with laminate woods, etc. it's cheaper to do it myself, i got what i wanted by doing myself and mostly it keep my mind stay active too!
bluray Wrote:because i'm a diy person...i built htpc's, fixed cars, planted trees, built speaker cables, ripped out carpet and replaced it with laminate woods, etc. it's cheaper to do it myself, i got what i wanted by doing myself and mostly it keep my mind stay active too!

Amen
toymachine2009 Wrote:Oh I agree I prefer DIY as much as possible not just for HTPC but for most things I rather build or put it together myself! Which is why I am glad I did mine. But I wouldnt build one for every tv in the house either ha. Rest of the TV's will most likely get Nettops!

Which actually leads me into another question. My house is not wired with Cat6 cables so I do my streaming wirelessly which has been working great. I have the WNDR3700 Netgear Router which has been working great. But the signal strength is not far enough to reach the entire house.

Any ideas to get signal out further or a device to extend it... I took my old Netgear router And set that up as a repeater and it repeated the signal just at 1Mbps speed which is suppper slow considering my internet speed is about 25Mbps. Internet doesnt even really move at 1Mbps. If this router reached further it would be perfect.

A better router acting as a repeater or an antenna to boost the signal. These are the only 2 options.
SpectreX Wrote:A better router acting as a repeater or an antenna to boost the signal. These are the only 2 options.

I like the antenna Idea. I literally need 10 more feet of signal in each direction and I am good. Because back where my TV is in the family room against the wall is like a dead zone. But like 5 feet in front of it internet works good enough to stream but as soon as i moved the htpc into the tv shelves it gets like 2 bars and internet speeds of 2-3 Mbps.

And As for a repeater from what I read I believe it cuts internet speeds in half. Not sure why my other router set up in repeater mode cut it down to 1mbps since even in the routers own stock FW it has repeating mode.

Sucks I would really like an HTPC in the family room for my family to enjoy including myself but signal doesnt reach. So for now I just have one in my bedroom.
Have you tried homeplugs?
T800 Wrote:Have you tried homeplugs?

nope.. looking it up now thanks for the suggestion Smile

Edit: They seem like they may just do the job and seem like they work.. Im a bit confused at how they work so im still reading on it. But thank you for the suggestion. So you plug one adapter into your router via ethernet and plug another anywhere else in the house and boom internet?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Odd Question: Why do we use HTPCs?0