Refresh rate switching in OSX
turn off all the fancy feature crap. that's a good starting point.
Ned Scott Wrote:Cheaper than free?

There are probably some commercial options out there that blow XBMC out of the water in some respects...
Sure the software is free, but the hardware never is. I honestly haven't found any better commercial options. I aim to buy something to play my movies right now, and the best solution that I can see is a Nvidia ION-box running XBMC under Linux. If you have any other suggestions I'd be very greatful! But as you say, XBMC is a very complete package...

Ned Scott Wrote:But here's the thing, right now if this is added there will be a delay for the switch, and that's assuming there's no other conflicts and it's easy to implement...
If I didn't completely misunderstand davilla I do believe he meant the delay was caused by his TV? And that of course would be the case no matter the OS.

Ned Scott Wrote:How is that delay any different than using the AppleScripts? You can use them from within XBMC via Launcher. You can probably find an add-on developer who would make an add-on launch the scripts automatically based on the movie being played. Those solutions sound no better or worse than one that would take longer to build into XBMC directly.
I agree, that sounds like it could work. I'm not familiar with the workings of XBMC add-ons though. And I wouldn't assume there are add-on developers standing by for requests, given how busy the devs are in general? If it's easy to add a hook to the playing of a video I guess it shouldn't be a problem to run a small script each time to switch rate. This might be something I should look in to. Can you point me in the right direction? Are there any add-on tutorials or examples to check out?
I did turn off all these "fancy features" (TruMotion etc.). Trust me on this TV playing 24p at 60hz just doesn't work. Also at the Plex forum there are more people who are experiencing the same issues. I used to watch everything at 60hz for 3 years on my old TV and it also works fine on my friends new Samsung, so I know what I'm talking about.
I will add my +1 for this feature. I know that Plex (for Mac) still does not have it despite that team having many, many requests for it over the years, but I had (mistakenly) thought that XBMC did already have something along these lines for Mac.

I am sure the XBMC devs are already aware but Apple does have an API for allowing a program to control and switch resolutions (not desired) or framerates (what we want). If needed I can try locating that information again, it has certainly been referenced by the Plex discussions on this topic.

For what its worth there was also a command line utility hacked together which could be called to control framerates. It was called cscreen. No idea if it is compatible with modern versions of Mac OS X.

I have no problems with this feature being an option. If the delay is as bad as 10 seconds, perhaps things can be helped by including an option to pause the video file while resyncing the TV framerate. If as I suspect the computer has no way to detect whether the TV has finished this, this could be acomplished by the following logic -

set n to user specified delay
if changing framerate = true
then
pause video playback for n seconds
end if

While adding this feature will require doing Mac specific changes, they do not seem hugely complicated changes, after all we are only talking about resetting the framerate at the beginning of playback and not writing an entire library to playback a new media format. Indeed the biggest amount of work seems to be in providing a GUI to allow setting preferences.

I can certainly see that the numbers of beneficiaries is low in that it is only Mac users, and only Mac users with multi-framerate capable TVs, and only those who are bothered about the slight (but definitely noticeable) juddering. However if one followed this argument to its end then why is there an XBMC for Mac in the first place?

PS. It should be noted that some DVDs may include multiple video titles and some may be at different framerates to others, or different to the DVD menu. It is therefore necessary to look at each video being played and not assume the entire DVD is identical. I even found a commercial DVD on which the movie (one title) had end credits which ran at a different framerate to the main movie even though they were in the same VOB files. This was due to really bad mastering by someone who obviously did not know what they were doing. The same movie also had some of the far more common telecine errors caused by editing telecined material (you should never ever edit telecined material you should do your editing before doing the telecine conversion).
Hello I am new to this forum and use XBMC for about 6 months.

Since I have a large collection of DVD and BluRay titles I'm really forced to use a solution like xbmc or Kaleidescape. My home theater consists of high quality components made ​​by Runco, ADA,RTI, JBL SYNTHESIS, Stewart, etc.
I am running XBMC on a mac mini and I also like to have the function of the refresh rate in osx version Smile

I would be willing to support the project with money because I'm very excited about it.

Sorry for my bad english but english is not my native language.

best regards

Rene
The lack of the auto refresh rate switching in the os x xbmc forced me switch to an xtreamer ultra (running linux).

I really hope that os x will get this functionality one day. Or is it technically not possible to implement it?

Chris
unRAID Server, Pioneer VSX-LX52, Panasonic 65VT30, Marusys VU+ Duo, Zotac AD10
ix400 Wrote:The lack of the auto refresh rate switching in the os x xbmc forced me switch to an xtreamer ultra (running linux).

I really hope that os x will get this functionality one day. Or is it technically not possible to implement it?

Chris

You really should read the posts before you.
Hi, I would like to add myself to those 5% patiently waiting for automatic refresh rate switching. Would it be interesting for XBMC developers to make it as a donation supported implementation?

Thanx
next cycle, i.e. after 11.0 pops out.
First of all, I want to thank the developers for such an awesome MC. I am also in the 5%, and have been waiting for more than a year for this to get implemented, I keep rebooting to another OS just to watch a movie. I think that smooth playback is one of the most important features in a MC and I hope it makes it to the next release, thanks in advance!
davilla Wrote:next cycle, i.e. after 11.0 pops out.

Really looking forward :-)
davilla Wrote:next cycle, i.e. after 11.0 pops out.

not sure of the level of secrecy around this, but any tips on when 11.0 is expected approximately. days, weeks, months?
nmirza Wrote:not sure of the level of secrecy around this, but any tips on when 11.0 is expected approximately. days, weeks, months?

no secrecy:

http://trac.xbmc.org/roadmap

aprox dates. Basically what the devs have set as a goal for themselves.
Ned Scott Wrote:no secrecy:

http://trac.xbmc.org/roadmap

aprox dates. Basically what the devs have set as a goal for themselves.

WOW this is awesome features all the way 2 years out have been planned and listed!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Refresh rate switching in OSX0