Hide hidden files/folders on SMB shares
i'm currently sharing a drive on my pc so that my xbox can see it via lan. however, the 2 folders that are hidden on the pc are visible on xbmc (system volume information and recycler). is there a way to hide these folders in xbmc or not have it show hidden folders?
Quote:is there a way to hide these folders in xbmc or not have it show hidden folders?
no, there is no way to hide them.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Hi,

Bumping this one as well. I am using an SMB share with XBMC as well as a Mac that generates these .AppleDouble folders all over the place and am too tired of wifey asking WTF those are for. Smile

Is there a way to ignore folders?
suppose we could consider file/folders starting with a dot as hidden.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

This is a super old post, but there's nothing else on the topic, so hopefully this helps someone.

.AppleDouble files are used by an appletalk file server service (either on a mac server or using netatalk daemon on linux/other nix). They represent resource forks of the files on these types of fileshares and are used by OSX.

Many people, including myself, use a fileserver to centrally manage media, backups etc... This includes centralizing both windows and osx workstations in addition to the venerable xbmc devices.

XBMC does not yet support AFP as a source <plead>please devs include this so I can rid myself of the mess called SMB/CIFS</plead>. If you create a fileshare which is accessed by both afp and smb you will likely end up with hidden directories named ".AppleDouble" in the paths. Inside these directories are what looks like copies of the files within the main path. But they are not, just the resource forks.

If you add an SMB media share to a path that includes these .AppleDouble files when you scan for new content recursively you will see duplicate entries for each of the files it finds because it is including the files in the .AppleDouble directory.

Solutions:

1. Remove the share from the afp. This is easiest, keep SMB pointing to the share but remove it from the afp configuration. For netatalk this is in the AppleVolumes.default configuration file.

2. Hide the dot files from the SMB server. in smb.conf add the configuration line: "hide dot files = yes"

Once you use either of these, the .AppleDouble files that were created previously will still be there, and you will need to clean them up. On unix/linux/etc this is done easily with the following command run in the root of the share in which you want to remove the files from:
Code:
find . -name \.AppleDouble -exec rm -rf {} \;

Done - hope this helps someone.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hide hidden files/folders on SMB shares0