Giada CUBE on sale @ Newegg!
Looks like a damn good deal here:

http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/264818

Nod
deal ended
eskro Wrote:deal ended

It didn't. You need to make sure you put in the promo code (EMCKBKA32) for the $129 price to show up.

Just tried, and it still works.
oh, good then!
I wish newegg.ca would have the same rebate :/
it had some weeks ago
Funny, it is now on sale at newegg.ca for 139$. Time to do some research! At this price, it is very cheap for a HTPC.

Under Linux and with the latest Adobe Flash version, does the Atom330/Ion play 1080p ?

I've read that it was possible under Windows, but I can't find info for Linux....
thats what im trying to figure out too,,,

So far, its leaning towards yes,,,

an Atom/Ion box can play 1080P Youtube streams
with the help of the latest version of FLASH PLAYER....

someone could confirm this?

thx
I know in terms of an ion 330 I know for Hulu I basically set it to 720 and it pulls if off fine, maybe just the slightest touch fame jumpy in sequences with fast motion. Linux drivers for Flash are very much improved with the most recent beta but I'd still say it looks just slightly smoother to me in Windows 7.

1080 on a local network drive is great.
Acer Revo 3610 w/ Ubuntu 10.10, Giada Cube Win 7, 2 ATV 1's one w Crystal HD card, UnRaid server w/ SAB/SickBeard/Couch Potato/Transmission, MacBook Pro, Hackintosh Dell Mini 10v
so seand, are you saying that under windows,
with the help of the latest version of FLASH PLAYER??
I can't say I've tried you tube 1080 per se so i can't directly answer. I've tried 720p Hulu Desktop on Windows and Linux one right after the other and to me Windows played just slightly smoother to my eyes in terms of a very slight frame jumpy thing in rapid moving sequences (like movie trailers with lots of jumpcuts, explosions). It doesn't surprise me terribly that Adobe would put a little more effort into fine tuning for Windows than for Linux considering they took so long getting good Linux drivers in the first place.

But for blockbuster fast action stuff that really I want to watch I tend to play it from local files it anyway.
Acer Revo 3610 w/ Ubuntu 10.10, Giada Cube Win 7, 2 ATV 1's one w Crystal HD card, UnRaid server w/ SAB/SickBeard/Couch Potato/Transmission, MacBook Pro, Hackintosh Dell Mini 10v
eskro Wrote:so seand, are you saying that under windows,
with the help of the latest version of FLASH PLAYER??

Seems to be the case : http://news.softpedia.com/news/NVIDIA-IO...7572.shtml

From this reading, that is why I wondered about 1080p Flash in Linux.
seand Wrote:I can't say I've tried you tube 1080 per se so i can't directly answer. I've tried 720p Hulu Desktop on Windows and Linux one right after the other and to me Windows played just slightly smoother to my eyes in terms of a very slight frame jumpy thing in rapid moving sequences (like movie trailers with lots of jumpcuts, explosions). It doesn't surprise me terribly that Adobe would put a little more effort into fine tuning for Windows than for Linux considering they took so long getting good Linux drivers in the first place.

You have to tweak the Linux version for maximum performance:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/16172/get...on-working

I do have Flash 10.2 installed as well as libvdpau1.
Flash is plainly awful without both. Night and day.

I'm saying that if you have the same thing que'd in Hulu Desktop and you boot in succession in Windows 7 and Ubuntu (both with Flash 10.2 installed) that to my eyes Windows looks just slightly smoother on an ion 330 even though Windows is obviously a heavier OS. Not hugely different, just very slightly. I think its because Adobe might have put more effort finetuning video acceleration performance for netbook ions running Windows than they did for Linux - which again does not surprise me terribly considering the differnce in market share. It doesn't stop me from watching say the first 10 minutes of late night talk shows or the Family Guy on Hulu in Ubuntu.

The type of difference I'm describing is slight. Or maybe its just my subjective perception. I actually prefer using Linux because Windows security issues (and more frequent patches) are something I'd prefer to avoid.
seand Wrote:I'm saying that if you have the same thing que'd in Hulu Desktop and you boot in succession in Windows 7 and Ubuntu (both with Flash 10.2 installed) that to my eyes Windows looks just slightly smoother on an ion 330 even though Windows is obviously a heavier OS. Not hugely different, just very slightly. I think its because Adobe might have put more effort finetuning video acceleration performance for netbook ions running Windows than they did for Linux - which again does not surprise me terribly considering the differnce in market share. It doesn't stop me from watching say the first 10 minutes of late night talk shows or the Family Guy on Hulu in Ubuntu.

Oh. I am sorry for the misunderstanding. Thanks for the clarification, it does not surprise me to hear that Windows Flash is better as it is also better than the OSX version in my experience.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Giada CUBE on sale @ Newegg!0