question about XBMC's NFS implementation
Hi,

Perhaps Memphiz will be kind enough, as resident NFS guru, to chime in on this, or someone else who knows? I'm just curious how NFS is implemented in the latest builds of XBMC for the ATV2. Are there any particular parameters passed to the server when the client mounts the mount points? Such as rsize, wsize, that sort of thing?

I'm just asking because I'm reading about the various parameters associated with NFS mounting, and I'm curious how XBMC handles it. Yes, incredibly, I actually just want to learn something, and don't have a problem with XBMC that needs solving! lol
- Amazon FireTV Stick 4K running latest stable Kodi version
- Sony Bravia XBR-x900h Android TV running latest stable Kodi version
- Skin: Aeon Nox: SiLVO
Hehe Smile

we use http://github.com/sahlberg/libnfs for accessing nfs. As far as i know the lib querys the server for max read and write packetsize (rsize, wsize). When doing a read the lib issues multiple read requests at the same time if needed. Each request has a readsize of rsize as maximum. After that it waits for alle packets coming in from the NFS server and then returns to us as caller.

Thats what i know about that Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Thank you Memphiz. If I'm reading this right, then, I might be able to optimize my NFS transfer speed from my NAS to my ATV2 by playing with rsize/wsize parameters on the NAS, I guess--if I can--since the libnfs is saying it will accept packets in as large a size as the NFS server will serve them?

I'm playing around with various NFS parameters in the NAS's /etc/exports file. It seems to be a tiny bit faster with "no_subtree_check" enabled. I'm experimenting to see if there are other tweaks I can make that might make some tangible difference, particularly in addressing the "slow-to-load thumbnails" issue (which I know is a known bug with the nightly).
canadave Wrote:I'm experimenting to see if there are other tweaks I can make that might make some tangible difference, particularly in addressing the "slow-to-load thumbnails" issue (which I know is a known bug with the nightly).

Thumbnails are cached so unless your using path substitution to move the cache elsewhere the thumbnails wont be loaded over NFS

(ignore me if you are substituting Smile)
He is substituing for sure.

@canadave

Maybe you can optimize some nfs settings. But believe me - you won't recognize any speedup on loading thumbnails :/ - its not an network issue ...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
chuckles Wrote:Thumbnails are cached so unless your using path substitution to move the cache elsewhere the thumbnails wont be loaded over NFS

(ignore me if you are substituting Smile)

Memphiz Wrote:He is substituing for sure.
If I'm substituting, it's news to me Smile Perhaps I am somehow and am just not aware of it? How/where would I check?

Memphiz Wrote:@canadave

Maybe you can optimize some nfs settings. But believe me - you won't recognize any speedup on loading thumbnails :/ - its not an network issue ...
I'd think that too...except last night, while watching a simple standard Xvid movie over the network via NFS, it stuttered a couple of times and also buffered three times over the hour I watched it. I haven't done any testing or examination of the logs or MediaInfo yet (just woke up after going straight to bed afterwards).

However, that may be just a coincidence of course. I'm perfectly prepared to believe the slow thumbnails is not a network issue Smile
canadave Wrote:If I'm substituting, it's news to me Smile Perhaps I am somehow and am just not aware of it?

then what chuckles said *ducking*.

1. You use wifi? Then stutter is allways in the range of possibilities. The wifi of the ATV2 just sucks. Its to small with internal antenna and ... crap Big Grin - yeah yeah yeah ... i know - worked before - nothing changed - now stutters - only new build - has to be xbmc - murphy is dead ... sorry - i zoned out *haha*

2. You use ethernet and got stutter? Bad network component somewhere.

Smile
Memphiz Wrote:then what chuckles said *ducking*.

1. You use wifi? Then stutter is allways in the range of possibilities. The wifi of the ATV2 just sucks. Its to small with internal antenna and ... crap Big Grin - yeah yeah yeah ... i know - worked before - nothing changed - now stutters - only new build - has to be xbmc - murphy is dead ... sorry - i zoned out *haha*

Smile

LOL...I see what you mean Smile But no, believe me, I'm not one of those guys who thinks "zomg my xbmc sux" every time something goes wrong Wink

It's number 1, I'm using wifi. I'm thisclose to drilling a hole in my floor and putting an Ethernet cable through, though. It's too bad...my router setup is actually very good (Asus RT-n16 running TomatoUSB firmware, with WPA2-AES encryption to assure n-speeds of course).

So it's just strange, then, that the "stable" build of XBMC is flawless for me when it comes to loading thumbnails and background art on the main menu items...and then I switch to the nightly build, and suddenly loading thumbnails and background art is much, much slower. The logs show "x hundred ms to load [thumbnail_name]" at every point where a thumbnail is loaded. Surely something obvious must have changed in the build that affects thumbnail loading?

*ducking*........then again, I'm no programmer Wink
We don't know ... have digged into it half a day latly and didn't figure ... its very hard to track down what the cause is ...
Bizarre ConfusedOo

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
question about XBMC's NFS implementation0