XBMC won't open and freezes other applications
Hi there,

Firstly I must state tha I am a complete noob when it comes to computers. I discovered this program off a friend who has it and loved the look of it so I decided to instal it on my brand new HP DV6 laptop.

Upon downloading the program from xbmc.org for windows and finishing the instal and selecting the "run XBMC" tick box before closing the install wizard, I notice that the computer sits idle for a long time and nothing opens at all. Following this, other applications will not open and those that are open become unresponsive.

Can anyone, patience required, please assist me in getting this program to run smoothly on my laptop. I have, since having this problem, uninstalled xbmc as it was causing too many other issues with programs.

Please let me know what other information is required in order for you to help me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Orion
Firstly, post the details of your system. What version of windows, processor, RAM, video drivers, what version of XBMC etc. How do you recover once it has hung (does CTRL-ALT-DEL allow you to close the prgram etc)

To diagnose the problem you'll need to provide a log file. Install XBMC again and run it so it crashes or hangs. When XBMC attempted to start it should have created an %Appdata%/XBMC directory (just type %APPDATA% in the run dialog and it should start windows explorer in the %APPDATA% directory and you'll be able to see if there is an XBMC subdirectory). Check that the XBMC directory exists. Use the wiki to determine the actual location of the XBMC userdata directory for your system. Start here and then check here.

If the XBMC userdata directory exists - good. In this case create a new text file called advancedsettings.xml. You may want to download a program called notepad+ to edit this file. In the advancedsettings.xml file you need to specify the log level you want for debugging (the default log level will be too low to explain some problems). Look at the wiki here for details of the advancedsettings.xml file. The detail you want is
Code:
<advancedsettings>
    <loglevel hide="false">3</loglevel>
</advancedsettings>

Start XBMC again and run it until it crashes or hangs. The go to your userdata folder and open the xbmc.log file that has been created, use notepad or notepad+ to do this. Copy the contents of this file to pastebin.com and then post the link for your log file here. This will give people something to help diagnose your problem.

Other things to try while you wait to see if someone can help are to make sure you have the latest video drivers for your system. Also read a post in the forums called the "beginners guide to Dharma" located here - it's a pretty good guide to getting started.

Good luck. It's worth persevering.
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
Thanks Rocketpants for taking the time to respond with a detailed reply. I will sift my way through it all and try to provide the required information ASAP. Do you mind if I PM you once i have posted the required info on this thread so you can have a quick look... you seem to know your stuff Smile

Thanks again for your time Smile

Orion
No probs, but I don't really know my stuff. I just hang around these forums a bit and know what you need to start resolving problems. I struggle to read a debug log but others seem to have an uncanny ability to spot an error from 10 feet.

Happy to try and help though. Might be better to post in the forum so others can see as well.
Openelec on ASRock ION 330 / Kodi on Win 7 PC
This is same issue as I have, see this thread

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=102126

You can't get any other program because XBMC is eating 100% cpu, when this happens only choice is to shutdown your computer with holding powerbutton for 5sek.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC won't open and freezes other applications0