How much coding experience do I need?
How much experience do I need to contribute to XBMCs codebase? I understand it's written in C++ with plugins in Python. I have lots of Java experience and also a little experience in C++ by virtue of me being a computer science major (I'm currently a senior in college). I haven't contributed to an open source project before and since I really like XBMC, I thought this would be a good place to start.

People frequently tell me it's best to contribute to a project that I am interested in. Am I being to ambitious by starting with XBMC or should I try to dive into the code this weekend? Where should I begin if I want to code in C++ and not write plugins in Python?
Typically the best way to get started is as such:

1) Familiarize yourself with the core architecture and structure
2) Review changes made to similar areas and look for areas to improve
3) Pick a small area to start, check the bug list for something that is related to your interests.
4) Fork the GIT repo, and get it to work!

The great thing about GIT is that you get your own tree, so you are free to modify it in anyway you wish, if it works out than it can be merged back into the original, but if you crash and burn all you've done is gained some experience.

If you are looking for suggestions on something add or tweak just look at common questions that people have issues with, and try and address that. One I've seen alot lately is issues with thumbnails, perhaps you could address that implementation, and purpose an improved system for managing them. Currently having to go through 2 levels of menus for each video can be a daunting task! Just my $0.02!

GLHF
monmon_4 Wrote:How much experience do I need to contribute to XBMCs codebase? I understand it's written in C++ with plugins in Python. I have lots of Java experience and also a little experience in C++ by virtue of me being a computer science major (I'm currently a senior in college). I haven't contributed to an open source project before and since I really like XBMC, I thought this would be a good place to start.

People frequently tell me it's best to contribute to a project that I am interested in. Am I being to ambitious by starting with XBMC or should I try to dive into the code this weekend? Where should I begin if I want to code in C++ and not write plugins in Python?

Hi Monmon, I feel like we're both started in the same place. Mechanical engineering snr in college, in love with xbmc, looking to put my c++ balls on the table and most importantly the sense of accomplishment from ambitiously changing a part of the world of free software. (i started spoonfeeding on java too Big Grin)

I can map out my C++ story in XBMC,

First I figured out the skinning system and made two small commits 1 2
Next an oops in the networking code 3 and the weather code 4
Slew a infinite loop, 5
Weaseled in a pull request 263
and I think I have a few more on the way 128 302 303

A story like this was prolly what you're looking for. Get the sources, start mucking around the skinning engine & gui code, pick up a random easy ticket on http://trac.xbmc.org/timeline, think of a kickass feature and then dive right in. Totally worth it, in my opinion. Hit me up in this thread if you come across anything cool

Garrett
Qlock, http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=90066

that'd be awesome as a screen saver. implemented as a single OpenGL texture, populated by c++, or by python bindings (challenge), so it can be drawn anywhere, skinned and utilize fancy animations

just an idea Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How much coding experience do I need?0