What graphics is compatible with DXVA2?
Question 
Hey folks,

I'm going to buy a new motherboard/cpu for my media center setup, and am concidering the AMD A8 CPU, as it comes with an integrated Radeon 6550d GPU.

Link

Will this APU (cpu with integrated gpu) be compatible with DXVA2 Hardware Accelleration in Windows 7?
I read in the source link above that it uses
Quote:UVD 3-based decoding acceleration and encode acceleration.

Do you have a better cpu,mb,gpu combo to recommend?

The reason why I am leaning towards the AMD A8 series is because its integrated gpu is leapyears ahead of any other integrated graphics, but since the cpu is lower midrange, it won't be enough without hardware accelleration.

Currently i am running a radeon 3650, which is not dxva2 compatible.

Thank you in advance for your time Smile

Finally, what new graphics cards and integrated graphics are confirmed compatible with dxva2 in XBMC?
That one is compatible, however for better results i reccommend one with an NVidia.
isamu.dragon Wrote:That one is compatible, however for better results i reccommend one with an NVidia.

what do you mean? better fps? better compatibility?
Better compatibility
Zotac ID40=noiseless, lowpower, small, DualAtom1.8, SSD, Nvidia ION2 GPU (dxva2). Fluet Blueray & 1080p h264.. beautiful..
isamu.dragon Wrote:Better compatibility

In my media center my graphics card was a HD 4550 which I recently replaced with a 6570 (better for gaming, it's passively cooled and low profile) I have never come across any file which caused problems with DXVA on either cards.

However, I have had numerous problems with nvidia chipsets typically from cards that died to cards that had graphics issues. I have not had a single problem with ATI/AMD cards in a very long time. My only complaint with ATI/AMD cards is catalyst control center.

EDIT: Actually, I can think of one instance where I encoded my Babylon 5 dvd's incorrectly and that caused some weird playback issues when using DXVA. (I used too many reference frames I think)
AlmostEvil Wrote:In my media center my graphics card was a HD 4550 which I recently replaced with a 6570 (better for gaming, it's passively cooled and low profile) I have never come across any file which caused problems with DXVA on either cards.

However, I have had numerous problems with nvidia chipsets typically from cards that died to cards that had graphics issues. I have not had a single problem with ATI/AMD cards in a very long time. My only complaint with ATI/AMD cards is catalyst control center.

EDIT: Actually, I can think of one instance where I encoded my Babylon 5 dvd's incorrectly and that caused some weird playback issues when using DXVA. (I used too many reference frames I think)

Thank you. The 6570 is pretty similar to the GPU that is embedded in the AMD A8 cpu, so I'll probably go for this, as it gives decent gaming performance as well. Also getting rid of the graphics card makes everything easier to keep cool with better airflow and less fans Smile

Just needed to know that the radeon 6xxx series could in fact play dxva2, which my radeon 3650 can't.
It doesn't change much for you as you're getting a new computer, but the 3650 works with dxva2. It has the first gen UVD though and does only BluRay compliant videos. So be careful not to exceed that in your encodes and you should be fine.
Always read the Kodi online-manual, the FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail Kodi Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules (wiki).
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
isamu.dragon Wrote:That one is compatible, however for better results i reccommend one with an NVidia.

The NVIDIA compatibility thing is much more a Linux issue than a Windows issue.
what about the ATI Radeon 5xxx series ? are they on the same level as the 6xxx as far as DXVA2 compatibility/performance ?

I currently have an ATI Radeon 3650 HD and it's failing to render properly for several of my .mkv videos with DXVA2 enabled.

I'd like to buy a 5xxx series, rather than than the 6xxx (lack of spare funds) but I want to make sure it would be an improvement.

cheers
caprica13, I've a Radeon HD 5450 (fanless), and it works fine with DXVA, I haven't noticed any problems with 720 or 1080 mkv's. Great value cards.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What graphics is compatible with DXVA2?0