ATV1 -- OS X or Ubuntu?
Does a significant difference in processor requirements make Ubuntu much better than OS X on ATV1 for 720p movies? My Samsung SP-R4232 plasma has a display resolution of 852 x 480. 720p downloads look stellar, but memory leaks require a reboot after every few hours of viewing. Would switching to Ubuntu make sense?

If installing an NFS server on a Mac with ATV1 running OS X was a 3.5 out of 5 difficulty level, how tricky is installing Ubuntu? Is there a no-terminal-needed how-to?
yes

no, some.
hi,

Crystalbuntu should fix that right up. NFS client is now built into the XBMC nightlies I distribute, (and will be integrated in August update), so no worries for connecting to your Mac.
Thanks, guys!

Yea, I did it using the nightly, hence the 3.5/5. Hopefully installing Crystalbuntu won't be too much more challenging.
Sam, thanks again for your help. The Crystalbuntu how-to mentions Linux and Windows installs. Do installs using Lion follow Linux instructions? What's the best starting point to run Ubuntu on ATV1 streaming with NFS from a mac running OS X?
Sams image is just stunnng on atv1 really snappy.

Sadly my atv died and i got an atv2 then realised my tv has no digi input or hdmi.
Curse the relentless forward momentum of progress!

Off to find a dac.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV1 -- OS X or Ubuntu?0