Noise trouble MI-008 / M9300. Going PICO PSU?
Wise HTPC builders,

so my build is doing fine now. The only trouble with it is it sounds like an airplane turbine.

After not being able to install the big Shuriken I went with the stock E3400 cooler. As I still have the Shuriken lying around, I'm considering getting a PICO PSU. Are there other options I should consider? What kind of PICO PSU would I need (E3400 / SSD / full size BD drive in the future)? And what do you do with the open backplate from where the PSU would sit?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

MB
airplane turbine soun come's from?
Hm, my guess would be the combination of PSU cooler and stock cooler sitting basically on each other. I'll run the case opened up and report back.

MB
I have the same case, MB, processor, fan. (MI-008, Celeron e3400, Zotac 9300, SileneX 120mm fan)
My configuration is Linux Mint 10, 32GB SSD , 1TB 7200 RPM hard drive. System will boot and XBMC auto start in 12 to 14 seconds ready to go.
The stock Intel fan was always at full speed, and I guess you could say it sounded similar to a jet engine. Very annoying to say the least.
I’m very satisfied with the build after making the following changes -

Install the 120mm fan for intake

Make the following changes to BIOS – I would VERY strongly suggest you write down your current configuration before you make changes!

Advanced - CPU Configuration – set all to Enabled

Chipset - NorthBridge MCP79 Configuration/CPU Voltage [-0.10V] (under-volting the processor had no performance related problems in Linux)

PC Health -
CPU SmartFan Control/Enabled
Smart Fan0 Min Temperature [50]

This made a huge difference in the fan noise. It is not completely silent. When the computer is on and the TV off you can hear it from 6 feet away (but only if you are trying to hear it), however if the A/C kicks in, the air movement from the floor vents it will drown out the sound from the computer. I can live with that.
After I made the above changes, It’s my opinion you really don’t hear a fan noise, it is the sound from restricted air flow causing it to be heard. If I remove the case cover it it dead silent from 6 feet away. Maybe if I enlarge the diameter if the holes in the side of the case and add a few more it would help, but I’m happy for now.
I have the Rosewill version of the MI-008 and I am using a picoPSU (120W). I have a custom plate I made with a 60mm fan and a hole for mounting the picoPSU jack (what the AC adapter plugs into). I've started making them for other folks too. I've made ATX, SFX (what you need for the MI-008) and TFX.

I have some pictures, etc. on my blog: http://outsidethestb.blogspot.com
@dougie Fresh: Went PicoPSU with the Shuriken and now it is perfect. Oh I even stumbled across your blog earlier when googling for a backplate. Small world.

Thanks for the input!

MB

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Noise trouble MI-008 / M9300. Going PICO PSU?0