Anyone using / having success with dirty regions?
I tried them once a while back but had no success, and didn't give it much thought.

Do they work? My gui interface is running at 39fps - which is fairly high for an idle bitmap Eek
rickrude Wrote:I tried them once a while back but had no success, and didn't give it much thought.

Do they work? My gui interface is running at 39fps - which is fairly high for an idle bitmap Eek

I've been using DR on my ATV2, ATV1, and iPhone 4 with very little issue. Every so often (normally on an on-screen-keyboard screen) the GUI will get glitchy for a second or two, but it's worth the trade off for the performance increase.
thanks ned, do you still just enable it in advanced settings? I guess i can search.

[EDIT] I created and edited advancedsettings.xml with this

<advancedsettings>
<gui>
<algorithmdirtyregions>1</algorithmdirtyregions>
<visualizedirtyregions>false</visualizedirtyregions>
</gui>
</advancedsettings>

and the CPU is a lot higher. If I change visualizedirtyregions to true, then the cpu and fps comes down a fair chunk, but of course not usable Sad

Ned, can you post your advancedsettings.xml please?
Disable the debug option in settings. the debug text on the screen pulls down cpu and fps. So for seeing any performance gains with dr - you only could use "top" through ssh.

Thats some kind of heisenberg thing here Wink
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Memphiz Wrote:Disable the debug option in settings. the debug text on the screen pulls down cpu and fps. So for seeing any performance gains with dr - you only could use "top" through ssh.

Thats some kind of heisenberg thing here Wink

good to know. same results with top Sad cpu usage is lower with dirtyregions disabled! I must be missing something.

cheers.
CPU will go up if your frame rate bounces back up to something closer to 60fps, yes.

Essentially d-r trades off constantly hitting the GPU with hitting the CPU slightly higher. For systems that are bandwidth limited, the GPU is the slow bit, so you're usually just sitting waiting for the GPU to do it's thing (thus low frame rate and low CPU).

Once you calm the GPU side down (by not rendering as much) you then up the frame rate and the CPU is no longer sitting idle waiting all the time -> higher CPU.

Cheers,
Jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Thank you for clarifying that Jonathan. It's crazy watching the CPU dip down to 50% when I launch an hd movie. Why is the interface so CPU intensive? Just asking out of curiosity. Performance of the GUI is good, especially since I blew away my database.
I've just turned it on and can definitely feel improved responsiveness in the gui. Fantastic, thanks. Now to find more tweaks. Big Grin
I enabled dirty regions and was having alot of flickering on my atv2. I deleted the advancesetting.xml file however the flickering has not gone away.

log http://paste2.org/p/1594489
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
rflores2323 Wrote:I enabled dirty regions and was having alot of flickering on my atv2. I deleted the advancesetting.xml file however the flickering has not gone away.

log http://paste2.org/p/1594489

you didn't restart xbmc or removed the wrong advancedsettings.xml - its still there and it still pulls the dr setting as of your log...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
I lookin my preference folder and i dont have the advancedsetting.xml there. Could it be hidden? I checked in /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata. Iam on 10.0.9.
I have restarted xbmc by unplugging the atv2 and still flickering. Idid not have this problem until itried dirty regions.
Nvidia Shield with Kodi 18
Weird, just reinstall. I would just blow away xbmc.frapplication and the /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC entirely and start over.
rickrude Wrote:<advancedsettings>
<gui>
<algorithmdirtyregions>1</algorithmdirtyregions>
<visualizedirtyregions>false</visualizedirtyregions>
</gui>
</advancedsettings>

Not sure if anyone can provide some insight to this, but hopefully the info will at least be useful to someone:

I was having some issues with weird flickering when I put the <algorithmdirtyregions>1</agorithmdirtyregions> into advancedsettings.xml (I also added a 1000ms flipouttimer as well). edit: This is on an ATV2

Even though its the default and thus theoretically adding visualizedirtyregions as false should do nothing, when I did xbmc would not load my Movie and TV Shows libraries (I use a centralized MySQL db). Also, and this part is super weird, the spacing on the Home Window between the different options (System, Shutdown, PsuedoTV, Music and Weather) was screwy. System, Shutdown and Weather were evenly spaced very close together and Music and PsuedoTV were even spaced together but a bit farther apart then the other 3 and the space between Weather and Music and PsuedoTV and System was rather large. Very noticeable.

My Log spit out an error saying something like, "unable to read line ending (28)". Which is the line right above the visualizedirtyregions line. I triple checked and it def was in correctly. Sorry for not pasting the log, but removing that default visualizedirtyregions line seemed to fix everything so I didn't bother but thought I'd pass it on. The funny thing is, the flickering seems to have stopped now and its def snappier, with the exact same advancedsettings.xml that I started with!
you had a typo in your file ... thats definitly true ... might even have been a hidden character or something ...
what gave me big speedup in the UI was downscaling the fanart height to 560px (also for thumbnails). From the couch you do not see the difference and the switching between movies is now much smoother.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Anyone using / having success with dirty regions?0