Difference b/w different keyboard.xml from XBMC install and APPDATA
So after quite a bit of research, reading threads/posts and all that, I finally have gotten my remote (Pinnacle PCTV remote MCE) to work with XBMC (Dharma 10.1)

The Pinnacle PCTV Remote is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Pinnacle-Remote-Me...B004ZJCH6M

I had to do quite a bit of back/forth on this thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=61571 and I think I'm at a stage where I can mess around more with the keymap xml files.

I did the MSRemote.reg thing as suggested in the thread above and this generated a keyboard.xml under %APPDATA%\xbmc with the appropriate notifications, and the buttons do show those notifications in XBMC.

However, when I edited the keyboard.xml under %APPDATA%\xbmc, nothing happened. I copied over these entries to the keyboard.xml under XBMC_INSTALL\system\keymaps\keyboard.xml and edited them and everything works as expected.

I'm wondering which XML file takes precedence over the other? Does the %APPDATA%\XBMC one have more precedence over the XBMC_INSTALL one? If so, why didn't editing the %APPDATA%\XBMC file have any effect on the actions?
The MCERemote add-on doesn't generate a keyboard.xml unless you choose the "Edit keyboard.xml" option, and that will put keyboard.xml in %appdata%\XBMC\userdata\keymaps not in %appdata%\XBMC. Putting the keyboard.xml in %appdata%\XBMC won't do anything because XBMC doesn't look there for the keymap.

If you look at the log file you should see entries like (these are from my system):

Code:
INFO: Loading special://xbmc/system/keymaps/keyboard.xml
INFO: Loading special://masterprofile/keymaps/keyboard.xml
INFO: Loading special://profile/keymaps/keyboard.xml

and further up the log you'll see lines telling you what directories special://masterprofile etc point to:

Code:
NOTICE: special://xbmc/ is mapped to: C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC
NOTICE: special://masterprofile/ is mapped to: C:\Users\renniej\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata

This tells you where the keyboard.xml needs to be.

NB I recommend you don't edit the keyboard.xml in the C:\Program Files\XBMC\system\keymaps folder because if you make a mistake you'll break all the keyboard handling. If you mess up the file in %appdata%\XBMC\userdata\keymaps at the worst you might just need to delete it to recover the default keyboard mappings.

JR
Thanks for the quick reply!

I'm sorry, I meant %appdata%\xmbc\userdata\keymaps. I was just lazy and wrote '%appdata%\xbmc'..

Yes, I did select the 'Edit Keyboard.xml' option from the MCERemote plugin in xbmc.

Right now there's 2 XML files:

1. Under %appdata%\xbmc\userdata\keymaps\keyboard.xml
2. Under %XBMC_INSTALL%\system\keymaps\keyboard.xml

If I edit the one under location #1 above, it doesn't seem to be taking any effect.. there's still plain notifications windows/alerts.

If I copy over the mappings to the XML under location #2 above, and edit to do other things - the buttons take effect.

Which is why I thought maybe the install folder keyboard.xml takes precedence over the appdata folder keyboard.xml. I'm not home right now but will check the log later on and post back.

What you're saying is I should leave the install folder XML be (I thankfully made a copy of the original) and just try to muck around with the appdata folder xml? I'll try later today..

Thanks again for all the awesome work!
gilsnor Wrote:What you're saying is I should leave the install folder XML be (I thankfully made a copy of the original) and just try to muck around with the appdata folder xml?

Yes.

If you pop a debug log and a copy of your keyboard.xml on pastebin.com I can try it on my test system. You can check the mappings by pressing the keys on the keyboard.

Go into MCERemote then "Configure MCERemote settings" then "Misc settings" and enable "Update/install keymap editor". Remember to click OK to save the setting, and answer No to the "Apply now?" prompt after you click OK. Now select "Edit keyboard.xml" and you'll be prompted to download a graphical keymap editor. This makes modifying the keymap a lot easier than using Notepad.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Difference b/w different keyboard.xml from XBMC install and APPDATA0