Windows 7 auto share new content in shared folder?
Although the main TV show folders are already shared, new content that gets added is not. I have to manually enable sharing on the new content for it to appear in XBMC.

Is this normal behaviour? Shouldn't files inherit the sharing status of their parent folder?

Is there a program that will automatically share a folder and it's contents that can run in set intervals perhaps?

In case the following helps: I'm using Windows 7 64bit Ultimate and sharing to an Acer Revo 3610 running XBMC Live. My user account does have Administrator rights.
When you say "sharing", do you mean "scanning to the library"? If so, you can configure XBMC to update the library at startup from System settings, Video, Library.

JR
Sorry, it's a windows share issue I'm having. XBMC works just fine as long as all the files in the folder are shared across the network.

When I check the shared windows folder that I've put new content into, the new files are not shared with anyone until I manually choose it. Even though I have shared the parent folder previously and previous content is also already shared.
When you share a folder all the child folders within it are available through that share. If you're scanning the shared folder into the library you need to enable "Scan recursively" in the Set Content dialog, though IIRC it is enabled by default.

If you share child folders within a shared folder you're going to get some odd results. For example XBMC will think the shares are unrelated and you'll get films being scraped twice.

Assuming your server is called "fred" and the top level share is called "media", press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

\\fred\media

and click OK. This will open an Explorer window showing the contents of the share and all the child folders within it, and you should be able to get to any folder by double-clicking in the window. This is how XBMC sees the share contents.

JR
I think my problem lies within Windows share and not XBMC. XBMC is working as it should. My issue is, new files that are added to a shared Windows folder do not inherit the sharing permissions of the folder and its existing files.

I know this is a XBMC specific forum, but I thought perhaps there was another user with a similar issue.
mversion Wrote:I think my problem lies within Windows share and not XBMC. XBMC is working as it should. My issue is, new files that are added to a shared Windows folder do not inherit the sharing permissions of the folder and its existing files.

If you copy files into a folder they inherit the permissions of the folder they're in. If you move files into the folder they keep the permissions they originally had, so they won't necessarily have the same permissions as the other files in the folder. Could this be the cause?

JR
Hey JR, that is spot-on.
I just tried copying a file and then moving the same file and sure enough it's exactly as you described.

Is there a workaround to this? I have Sickbeard and sabnzbd doing my dirty work in the background and this is happening constantly.
I use Win 7 to serve out my media. Make sure you're not using HomeGroup sharing. Use the Advanced Sharing. Make sure you add permissions under the Sharing tab AND the Security tab for the parent folder. If you do that, you should have automatic full access to anything you move into that folder.
mversion Wrote:Is there a workaround to this? I have Sickbeard and sabnzbd doing my dirty work in the background and this is happening constantly.

Find the directory where Sickbeard and sabnzbd are creating the files and ensure it has the same permissions as the folder that XBMC is using. That way even though the moved files keep their permissions it won't matter because the permissions will be the same.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 7 auto share new content in shared folder?0