sharing issue
Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out why my xbmc machine can't read video files that are newly added to my media server PC.

XBMC sees the directory of the new video files, but it won't see the content when you open the directory. It looks like it's a sharing issue because I can't access the new content over the network either.

What I have to do is un-share the root directory, and re-share it every time I'm adding video.

The media server which is hosting the files is running XP, while the xbmc machine is running vista.

Any help is appreciated.
File permissions?

JR
can you elaborate?
We need a bit more information. In particular when you say "I can't access the new content over the network either" what does this mean?

If you press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

\\servername\sharename

(replace servername with the name of the server where the media is and sharename is the name of the share) this should open an Explorer window showing the contents of the shared folder. Can you play all the media by doubleclicking on them, or do some files open while others don't? If the latter, it probably means the offending files have different permissions to the files that do open. On possible reason for this is that the files were created in a different folder then moved into the shared folder.

JR
I will try this when I get home tonight.

However, I think you're right about the files being moved. I have bittorrent set to download files in a directory called 'temp', and when it's done downloading, it moves the files to another folder called 'ALL'.

"I can't access the new content over the network either" - By this, I meant that when I open windows explorer and go to the media server, I can't open a folder that has been newly downloaded. I can open other ones though.
Aha! It sounds like the permissions then. The quick fix is to locate the directory where your BitTorrent client is creating the files, and set it's permissions to be the same as the "ALL" directory.

JR
In windows xp, when you right click the folder and go to properties --> sharing tab, it gives you a check box called 'Share this folder on the network'. So I just need to check this for the "temp" directory as well?
No, you want the Properties, Security tab. Depending on what version of Windows you have the tab may not be present, in which case a Google will be needed as I don't use Win7.

JR
ok so I had to disable 'simple file sharing' for the security tab to show up.
Once it does, I'm able to see that the temp folder doesn't have a group/username called 'Everyone', whereas the ALL directory does. The rest of the groups/usernames have their permissions exactly the same.

so I added the 'Everyone' group to the temp directory's permissions, and now the permissions for both folders are identical. I'm going to try adding a movie to it and see if xbmc reads it. Will let you know.
It looks like it worked. I downloaded a futurama episode and xbmc reads it.
I wonder if I should re-enable simple file sharing?

Anyway thanks for your help I appreciate it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
sharing issue0