[AppleTV 1] Frustration
I've spent the better part of the last month trying to get the following to work:

SAMBA3: Total Failure

NFS: Total Failure until I installed Lion and then it magically worked

MySQL: Success, but only after hours and hours of trial and error

Postfix: (Not XBMC related, but Lion broke my Postfix installation and I spent most of yesterday getting it running again. I still don't understand why Postfix wants to forward mail intended for my MobileMe email address to the local user "boss". There is no "boss" in any of my Postfix config files.)

So, today is the fist day I'm not going to have to fiddle with stuff. Everything is working. I can sit down and enjoy some videos.

I'm about 15 minutes into my first one when, damn, "buffering"! Why? This is a low bitrate XviD TV show on an N network.

Then all hell breaks loose. XBMC freezes. When I restart the AppleTV it won't connect to the LAN (WiFi). I finally get it to connect, but then XBMC freezes every time I start it. Then the Launcher menu stops working. I try to SSH into the box to look at log files, but:

Code:
bleach:share mnewman$ ssh frontrow@Slurp
frontrow@slurp's password:
Last login: Thu Aug 18 13:51:57 2011
-bash-2.05b$ top
Error opening terminal: xterm-256color.

and then

Code:
bleach:share mnewman$ ssh frontrow@Slurp
ssh: connect to host Slurp port 22: Host is down

Try to afp and sftp into the box, but no dice. Restarting doesn't help.

I finally figure that the wireless card in the ATV must be hosed so I grab an old Airport Express and connect it up. It works, but everything else is broken. No ssh, no sftp, no afp, no XBMC, no NitoTV, etc.

So, I end up having to do a software restore on the ATV and reinstall everything. So, my afternoon of video watching turned into yet another day of troubleshooting and installing.

I need a vacation. So, next week I'm off to Koh Tao for a few days of diving.

Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
You not using ubuntu on atv1
#1) does things outside of xbmc work? Apple movies trailers?
#2) is it possible to try a wired connection?

If you have a USB stick you could try crystalbuntu which when connected to atv1, boots Linux (and Linux version of xbmc), but I think your problem is network related
I'm sure you're right. It was a network problem. But, even after I connected with a known good Airport Express, almost nothing would work. Somehow the network failure caused enough disk corruption that all it would do is boot into recovery mode.

I've now done a factory restore and jailbreak and reinstall of everything. It's working now. But it's five hours I didn't need taken out of my day.
5 hours wasted on XBMC is much better than 5 hours wasted in an emergency room
atari800 Wrote:5 hours wasted on XBMC is much better than 5 hours wasted in an emergency room

I'm sorry, I don't get it.

Now I've got this weird problem. The 'top' command won't run:

Code:
-bash-2.05b$ echo $PATH
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
-bash-2.05b$ ls -la /usr/bin/top
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root  wheel  86340 Aug 18 22:31 /usr/bin/top
-bash-2.05b$ top
-bash-2.05b$ type top
top is hashed (/usr/bin/top)
-bash-2.05b$ /usr/bin/top
-bash-2.05b$
sudo chmod +s /usr/bin/top
Thanks. I missed that. I wonder how that setuid bit got set wrong?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV 1] Frustration0