ASRock H55M-LE
Hi,

I bought ASRock H55M-Le sometime back. So far I have been using a VGA cable for output and TV speakers. Now, I want to move to HDMI with surround sound.

The specification of the motherboard says "DVI port can be transferred to a HDMI 1.3 port to support Deep Color, xvYCC and HBR audio". What does it mean? Does it mean that I can convert DVI port to hdmi and it will be able to transfer both audio and video? I should mention that I dont have a receiver, and I dont want to buy it either.

Thank you
DVI doesn't support audio so I'm not sure why it would say that.
I have a H55M-LE in my HTPC but I use a GT430 GPU for HDMI out.
Well, chances are that I will end up using the analog audio output from the motherboard rather than using the hdmi audio as my TV doesn't have RCA out for audio.

I am still doubtful about another thing : If I use a DVI-D to HDMI converter, I will get deep color feature?
rohitj Wrote:Well, chances are that I will end up using the analog audio output from the motherboard rather than using the hdmi audio as my TV doesn't have RCA out for audio.

I am still doubtful about another thing : If I use a DVI-D to HDMI converter, I will get deep color feature?
why do you need an rca output from your tv? you'll never get good aq from tv rca output.

if you want to enjoy the best aq/pq, you'll need one of these-
SAPPHIRE 100324L Radeon HD 6570 2GB or
PNY VCGGT4301XPB GeForce GT 430. with one of this card installed, you can do this- htpc>avr>hdtv via hdmi cables. you'll get the best aq/pq this way.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
The TV has headphone output and an optical output. I dont have a receiver, so basically, I can not get surround sound from my TV. I have to use the analog out from my htpc. The motherboard supports 7.1 .

I dont want to spend money on receiver yet. So, question remains, if I use dvi-D to hdmi converts, will I really get deep color? and by such conversion, can I really get audio in HDMI as well?
I believe that I did this with my very old PC a long time ago. I connected DVI to HDMI converter, and I get the sound/video through one cable. You just have to go into the sound card properties and enable SPDIF.

Here is a very cheap solution to enjoy HD audio- Sony Home Theater AV Receiver
rohitj Wrote:The TV has headphone output and an optical output. I dont have a receiver, so basically, I can not get surround sound from my TV. I have to use the analog out from my htpc. The motherboard supports 7.1 .

I dont want to spend money on receiver yet. So, question remains, if I use dvi-D to hdmi converts, will I really get deep color? and by such conversion, can I really get audio in HDMI as well?

To get deep color you need the HTPC, cable and display to all be deep color compliant. The amount of media that is deep color was very rare last time I looked. I don't think Blu-ray supports deep color.
The only way you will get audio from DVI-HDMI is by adding optical to the DVI connection with something like this:
http://www.climaxdigital.co.uk/DVI-video...-convertor
T800 Wrote:The only way you will get audio from DVI-HDMI is by adding optical to the DVI connection with something like this:
http://www.climaxdigital.co.uk/DVI-video...-convertor
it is false, and you need to read more information on ati card. here is one adapter that will carry both video and audio- HIS HHDMI4071 DVI to HDMI Adapter - For ATI Radeon 3000,4000,5000
bluray Wrote:it is false, and you need to read more information on ati card. here is one adapter that will carry both video and audio- HIS HHDMI4071 DVI to HDMI Adapter - For ATI Radeon 3000,4000,5000

Touche! Big Grin
Thanks guys. I appreciate your responses. Since, I didn't want to much money on new things, I ended up using a DVI-D to HDMI cable. Assuming what T800 said, I guess I dont have to worry about deep color or something right now. For audio, I am just using the analog out from my motherboard. Since my speakers have analog input, that works for me.

However, at some point of time, I would like to buy a receiver and may be use optical out for audio. Also, since I dont really have optical audio out in the motherboard (it has some pin headers for optical audio, but I think that has to be connected to a video card), I am not going for the converter yet.
rohitj Wrote:Thanks guys. I appreciate your responses. Since, I didn't want to much money on new things, I ended up using a DVI-D to HDMI cable. Assuming what T800 said, I guess I dont have to worry about deep color or something right now. For audio, I am just using the analog out from my motherboard. Since my speakers have analog input, that works for me.

However, at some point of time, I would like to buy a receiver and may be use optical out for audio. Also, since I dont really have optical audio out in the motherboard (it has some pin headers for optical audio, but I think that has to be connected to a video card), I am not going for the converter yet.
you don't need to have optical output. if you have this adapter, For ATI Radeon 3000,4000,5000 or Ultra U12-40611 700HI. dvi to hdmi adapter with both video/audio has more pins than the standard dvi to hdmi adapter. audio and video will work with a single hdmi cable, but you have to go into sound card properties and enable spdif. certain ati cards uses data pins to send audio data to dvi connector to be converted to hdmi by an adapter, it needs to be specific adapters. if you have one adapter for ati card listed above, it'll work!
I see! I dont have a graphics card, I have ASRock H55M-LE with i3 processor. The motherboard description says that with DVI-D to HDMI converter I should be able to send both audio and video (which was one of my doubts that I expressed in my first post). So, I guess if I use one of those products that you suggested, I should be able to get both video and audio to work with hdmi cable.
altho i never tried, it Looks like it Tongue

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ASRock H55M-LE0