720p blueray vs. 720p HDTV streaming wireless,, which one?
Do these both stream reasonably well over wifi?

I've set sickbeard to pick up 720p blueray rips and its got quite a few for my new collection. My new worry however is that the file sizes are MASSIVE. Not a problem because I have a server with the space at the moment. The problem is streaming these files which is my worry. Is the size/quality trade off worth it and is there much difficulty in streaming these larger files over their other 720p counterparts?
If your wireless network is 802.11n it should be ok, but 802.11g will struggle.

Edit: Just to add, the smaller the file, the better the chance of it playing ok, so you could try the 720 HDTV versions.
My wireless N network can stream 720 and 1080p though sometimes (rarely) I do have buffering issues. When I modified the QoS settings in my router to give priority to the XBMC devices, it helped. I am thinking about going to a powerline network just to ensure I have more reliable results. Though powerline will never get you as much speed as a hardwired network cable, it is still better and more consistent than wireless.
You can even stream 1080p over WiFi if you have the proper setup:

1. 802.11n @ 300 Mbps
2. NFS Server

Using 802.11n @ 150 Mbps and SMB just won't cut it.
My Theater: JVC X790R + Peerless PRG-UNV | 120" CineWhite UHD-B Screen | KODI Nexus + PreShow Experience | mpv | madVR 204 RTX 2070S | Panasonic UB420 | Denon X3600H @ 5.2.4 | 4 x ADX Maximus w/ Dayton Audio SA230 | 3 x Totem Tribe LCR + Mission M30 Surrounds + SVS PC2000 + Monolith 15 | 40" HDTV w/ Z83 + MoviePosterApp | 40TB Win10 SMB Server over Gigabit Ethernet
+1 for powerline, but you might need this model to stream 720p/1080p fluently- D-Link PowerLine AV 500 4-Port Gigabit Switch
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
how do i enable NFS using unraid (the OS I'm using atm)?
btw i bought some TP-link powerline adaptors... will they help? (sorry im on a budget Sad)
aoaaron Wrote:btw i bought some TP-link powerline adaptors... will they help? (sorry im on a budget Sad)
is it 200mbps tp-link model? it might be okay for 720p stuff, but i doubt that it can playback 1080p fluently. i have the top of the line linksys powerline, and i cannot do 1080p with it. it can stream hd (netflix, vudu, youtube, etc) fine, but not bd 1080p m2ts/iso/mkv with dts-hd/truehd over home network.
aoaaron Wrote:My new worry however is that the file sizes are MASSIVE.

The file size will depend on the bitrate, which in turn determines the quality.

I sample at a relatively low bitrate, typically 1600 to 1800 Kbps, and this gives file sizes of around 1GB/hour for 720p. Videophiles would probably regard this as too poor quality, though it seems fine to my non-videophile eyes.

1GB/hour is only around 300KB/sec, which should be fine on most wireless networks.

JR
The rips I'm getting at 720p are more like 2.5GB/hour. which will equare to 1mb/asec?

it worked fine wireless last night streaming.. so im presuming the powerlink adaptors (200mbps model) will only help when attached via eth0.
jhsrennie Wrote:I sample at a relatively low bitrate, typically 1600 to 1800 Kbps, and this gives file sizes of around 1GB/hour for 720p. Videophiles would probably regard this as too poor quality, though it seems fine to my non-videophile eyes.

JR
with smaller lcd screen or further seating distance, you're more likely cannot tell the different. with larger hdtv screen or closer viewing distance, you'll be able to tell the lower bitrate and higher bitrate.

i preferred my bd file in iso or the orginal m2ts to preserve the original pq.
aoaaron Wrote:The rips I'm getting at 720p are more like 2.5GB/hour. which will equare to 1mb/asec?

it worked fine wireless last night streaming.. so im presuming the powerlink adaptors (200mbps model) will only help when attached via eth0.
if you have a lot of wireless devices in the house, it's great to have a dedicated powerline for htpc. i get better result with linksys powerline than wireless, and it’s cheaper than buying 4 good quality wireless adapters too.
aoaaron Wrote:The rips I'm getting at 720p are more like 2.5GB/hour. which will equare to 1mb/asec?

MediaInfo (http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/) will tell you the bitrate.

JR
bluray Wrote:is it 200mbps tp-link model? it might be okay for 720p stuff, but i doubt that it can playback 1080p fluently. i have the top of the line linksys powerline, and i cannot do 1080p with it. it can stream hd (netflix, vudu, youtube, etc) fine, but not bd 1080p m2ts/iso/mkv with dts-hd/truehd over home network.
So you have the linksys powerline system but you recommend the dlink? Do you have any experience with it?
tboooe Wrote:So you have the linksys powerline system but you recommend the dlink? Do you have any experience with it?
i recommended dlink powerline because it is 500mbps. i know how better it is with my 200mbps linksys powerline compare to wireless. if linksys have the 300mbps or 500mbps version, i would properly recommend it but there isn't any.

i don't have dlink 500mbps powerline, but i have no doubt that it will be better than my 200mbps linksys!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
720p blueray vs. 720p HDTV streaming wireless,, which one?0