Quit External Player to return to XBMC when playback stopped
Hello All,

Since I am not expecting any workable solutions to the strange XBMC behaviour as mentioned in my earlier post http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=107962, I am trying to have a makeshift remedy to the problem by using external players option.

I have installed the 'PotPlayer' as it seems the most feature rich free media player newly available, with most of the default options left as-is. Installed it from http://www.dvbsupport.net/download/index...iew&id=230

After that as guided I created and tweaked the playercorefactory.xml according to my need as follows :

Code:
<playercorefactory>
<players>
   <player name="PotPlayer" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
     <filename>C:\Program Files\Daum\PotPlayer\PotPlayerMini.exe</filename>
     <args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
     <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
     <hideconsole>true</hideconsole>
     <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
   </player>
</players>
<rules action="prepend">
   <rule filetypes="avi" videocodec="xvid|divx|div3|div4|div5" player="PotPlayer"/>
</rules>
</playercorefactory>

It works, and I get the potplayer launched by default when running any AVI file.

Well the fix is pretty acceptable except the fact that I will not get the default XBMC OSD controls during playback, instead I would get the eternal player features kicking in. This OK for the while.

However my question is that when I stop playback in the external player the control and focus remains in the console window of the external player, and does not return back to XBMC (have not tried MPC-HC or VLC to check whether it happens with all of them). I chose PotPlayer because of its ability to use Crystal HD decoder drivers as I have the Broadcom BCM700xxxx graphics accelerator card installed.

When I press stop button, I have to manually quit (or press Alt+F4 on the MPC remote) the external player to get the full screen XBMC window back.

Is there or can there be any possibility that if I click stop button in the external player, then it quits the external player program and returns the control to XBMC for a more smooth and seamless transition between XBMC and External Player.

Maybe would involve editing the registry keys for the PotPlayer media player, just dont know where and how :-)

Thanks for the guidance.
Once XBMC has launched the external player it waits for the external player to close. There's no communication between XBMC and the external player, so XBMC can't know that you've stopped the video.

The /fullscreen /close arguments are normally used with players like MPC-HC where they cause the player to exit when the video has finished or if it's stopped.

JR
FWIW

I am using MPC-HC as an external player. I have used the registry mod that elitegamer360 posted in this thread.
As near as I can tell, that causes the stop button to send Ctrl-Shift-S when pressed. I then mapped Ctrl-Shift-S to the "Exit" or "Close" (I forget which tern they use and I'm at work and can't look) in MPC-HC. That way, when I press stop, it closes MPC-HC altogether. XBMC notices this and refocuses.

I don't know if there is a way to do this in the player you are using but this may at least give you a lead...
I have this problem too. MPC-HC returns when done playing but PotPlayer just stays on a black screen when done playing and I have to manually close PotPlayer to advance to the next video in the Kodi playlist.

update: Found this on another site: "As far as I know you right click PotPlayer window, go to 'Misc' - 'When Finished' - and tick 'Exit PotPlayer once finished playing the current file'."

I'll try that.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Quit External Player to return to XBMC when playback stopped0