Best method for serving media?
I've recently put together a new computer which I intend you also use for serving up media to a few xbmc clients around the house.

I'm looking for the best (inc simplest and most reliable) method to serve media to the clients (most on windows 7 one is a mac).

The new (server) pc is running windows 7 64bit (i5 2300 based pc) and will also sometimes be used as a desktop for light office work browsing, so something that doesn't interfere with that would be ideal.

I was thinking of using DLNA with something like tversity (but at times it's proved unreliable in the past).

Are there much better options than this?

Thanks.
share the folders is the simplest method. if like me, you struggled getting your macs to see the smb shares, i grabbed a copy of a great prog called extremez-ip which made the windows server act like a mac server braodcasting afp shares of the same shared folders.
be kind, rewind
Thanks for the tip. That worked great with windows, just set up a very simple homegroup and right click any folder that I wanted to share to 'share with homegroup'. Couldn't be simpler.

I haven't sorted the mac side yet. I can see the server in 'finder' but no folders, but it's likely due to permissions, but will try again over the weekend.
For serving files with Windows environment I would recommend something like Windows Server 2008 R2 (or a flavor of WHS works too, or Linux -< set-up is a bit harder). Here is the problem with using Windows 7 Ultimate or such – they are limited to 20 or so connections and have a very bad habit of NOT releasing connections, thus requiring a reboot. Further, each computer connecting to the server can use multiple connections. I found serving with a desktop OS to be very unreliable. It is very easy to hit the 20 connection limit with 2 computers, and then things will simply not work right, you’ll think something failed but really you’ve hit the connection limit.

-Nhilar

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best method for serving media?0