Linux Ubuntu vs. Windows for XBMC given my hardware/requirements
Thanks for your time. I've bought this: http://www.ebuyer.com/267867-emachine-er...-nbzec-004

Its arriving tommorow and I'm undecided on which way to go with the OS.

I will be doing:
720p playback via wifi (maybe 720p + 1080p via eth0)
Icefilms
BBC Iplayer
Aeon Nox skin

I would also like the option to:
Browse the internet
Check Emails
Fast boot time
Dropbox intergration to backup my work

I think I will probably be sleeping the machine although I'm open to criticism if this is dangerous. If you guys think I should shut it down instead, then boot time is a major issue.

I'm open to the arguments between both sides. I'm pretty unbiased. I've used windows 7 and XP and I'm confident solving networking issues using windows but I've always wanted to try Linux/Ubuntu but have lacked the time/oppurtunity/material/guides.

The most important thing would be flawless playback with very few issues and quick boots from sleep etc.

Also to be able to be used by most remotes (buying one tommorow reccomendations more than welcome).
After I got some practice with Windows and XBMC I decided to check out ubuntu. After some problems with the 11.04 release, I tested 10.04 Lucid and I am still very satisfied with this. Video Playback is perfect and it works with my remote control very well.

I also encode videos to xvid or x.264 mkv wit avidemux, use video game console emulators (SNES and N64) over the XBMC. Im able to do all the things I've done with Windows but with less hardware requirements. For your new system I will think you will be happy with ubuntu, too. Check it out!
thanks, which one would enable heavier skins or smoother browsing? smoothness is a must for me.

i've just read that getting drivers on ubuntu is very difficult involving lots of commands like wget.. is this true?
Hello,

I have 4 of these machines in my home network. All have Windows 7. All use Neon skin. Network is wired gigabit. Some use plugins. All use scripts. All are capable of browsing the internet and email, though I do not know how to integrate that withn the XBMC environment. I have them all set to sleep when I am away and to wake up 1 hour before I get home to run script and be ready for me when I get there.
They are nice machines...too bad they do not make them anymore.

Mark
Hi aoaaron,

I see you have the ER1401 (ebuyer?), I have the ER1402 which comes with windows 7....

So using it with windows.... XBMC works well, there is an option to turn on hardware acceleration, enable this and it will play 1080p find, stream BBC iplayer in HD (using the XBMC plugin (30%-35% processor usage)....

Ubuntu.... I installed it very briefly.... XBMC installed okay etc audio did not go down the HDMI cable - I'm sure thats easy to fix...but I never had a chance...I broke the software and had to re-install every thing

Remote....
Also see this link
There is also something called event ghost, I think the above link should fix any issues I have...so no need for it-TBD

Just got a remote today (link).....do not have enough time to test this weekend, its recommended here (from the first link)
It does turn on the box in standby mode
Everythings pointing to windows 7 ATM unless someone can name some solid positives for ubuntu so I guess I'll go with that (simple for remote combatability etc.)
Actually, I'm having second thoughts because Windows 7 is so bloaty. Are there any fixes or options I can select to make windows 7 less intensive on the system resources.

If I were to go for XBMC Live/Linux, are there many guides available to help for it?

My machine has been rumored to havign trouble with Linux. :S
aoaaron Wrote:Actually, I'm having second thoughts because Windows 7 is so bloaty. Are there any fixes or options I can select to make windows 7 less intensive on the system resources.

why is w7 bloaty? have you try xbmc w/ w7 on it? what happen?
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
mwkurt Wrote:Hello,

I have 4 of these machines in my home network. All have Windows 7. All use Neon skin. Network is wired gigabit. Some use plugins. All use scripts. All are capable of browsing the internet and email, though I do not know how to integrate that withn the XBMC environment. I have them all set to sleep when I am away and to wake up 1 hour before I get home to run script and be ready for me when I get there.
They are nice machines...too bad they do not make them anymore.

Mark

hmm i just tried aeon nox and it was a horrible experience on this machine.

what options do u have to make it happen without being slow?

tbh even confluence is seeming a little slow to me!!
what skins were you all using btw?

seriously browsing 200 movies is a chore, fanart lags behind and if i need to go to somewhere like M, its just really not that pleasant. were u guys overrating the machine a bit or are my settings wrong? do i have to mess with the bios a bit?
aoaaron Wrote:hmm i just tried aeon nox and it was a horrible experience on this machine.

what options do u have to make it happen without being slow?

tbh even confluence is seeming a little slow to me!!
Well confluence is one of the fastest skins there is so there must be some issue
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Be sure to use dds fanart. That really can make a difference.
If you are using nightly build enable dirty regions.
rickwebtest Wrote:Hi aoaaron,
Ubuntu.... I installed it very briefly.... XBMC installed okay etc audio did not go down the HDMI cable - I'm sure thats easy to fix...but I never had a chance...I broke the software and had to re-install every thing

dont be too sure that its easy to fix ive had issues with my HDMI audio for several months and have yet to find a solution that works consistantly.
this is mostly due to the fact that i use a radeon card and they dont seem to play nice with ubuntu.
so it works sometimes and then other times it will come back from being on standby and i will have no hdmi audio.
but since its free its worth dealing with a few issues here and there i guess.
Big_Noid Wrote:Be sure to use dds fanart. That really can make a difference.
If you are using nightly build enable dirty regions.

DDS fanart? how do i do this?
aoaaron Wrote:DDS fanart? how do i do this?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Adv...sfanart.3E

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux Ubuntu vs. Windows for XBMC given my hardware/requirements0