ATV2 and iOS nightly build semi automatic update scripts
Will have to try this later!
I get the following error:

Selecting previously deselected package org.xbmc.xbmc-ios.
(Reading database ... 3476 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking org.xbmc.xbmc-ios (from xbmc-20111003-31113d1-master-ios.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of org.xbmc.xbmc-ios:
org.xbmc.xbmc-ios depends on org.xbmc.xbmc-iconpack; however:
Package org.xbmc.xbmc-iconpack is not installed.
dpkg: error processing org.xbmc.xbmc-ios (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
org.xbmc.xbmc-ios
You need to change -ios in the regex with -atv2. I think the script is old and needs an update.
Cool thanks
NEI Wrote:You need to change -ios in the regex with -atv2. I think the script is old and needs an update.

There's one script for ATV2 and one for iPad (iOS). Check posts 1 and 2 in the thread. They are similar, but not interchangable.

Durniplot.
This script is awesome, works great. I included a line to copy over the updated the updated appleremote xml file too.

I'm wondering it it is possible to add the running of this script to the menu in nito tv for added convenience? I don't want it to be totally automated, but being able to do it from a couch would be nice. It would also make it a lot easier to keep my friends atv2 updated too.

Anyone else been thinking along these lines?
Giraff Wrote:This script is awesome, works great. I included a line to copy over the updated the updated appleremote xml file

What does this update do to the remote? Where do you get it from? Thanks.
Giraff Wrote:This script is awesome, works great. I included a line to copy over the updated the updated appleremote xml file too.

I'm wondering it it is possible to add the running of this script to the menu in nito tv for added convenience? I don't want it to be totally automated, but being able to do it from a couch would be nice. It would also make it a lot easier to keep my friends atv2 updated too.

Anyone else been thinking along these lines?

I think the ultimate solution would be an Add-on which will run the script. Just my 2c.
NEI Wrote:What does this update do to the remote? Where do you get it from? Thanks.

I just used this to make the up and down buttons skip ten minutes. By default these are unused and the sideways buttons will only skip a little bit.

There is a discussion on this topic in this thread too.

I just added a line to copy the remote file to the relevant folder.

Code:
cp joystick.AppleRemote.xml /private/var/mobile/Library/Preferences/XBMC/userdata/keymaps

I originally copied it to the xbmc program folder. That gets deleted on reinstall of a nightly update. This made me need to copy it on every xbmc update.

I have since modified it to copy it to the userdata folder. That folder does not get deleted. This way you only need to copy it once, and adding it to the script is rather redundant.
hangs at: (Reading database ... 3643 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace org.xbmc.xbmc-atv2 10.0-9 (using xbmc-20111010-34f799e-master-atv2.deb) ...
for me. Sad

edit: Nvrmd, I was just a tad impatient. It worked well
Just wanted to thank you for this script....!

Works great...and i don't need to bend my mind what the next step should be... Wink
dssnobie Wrote:I think the ultimate solution would be an Add-on which will run the script. Just my 2c.

I've been pootin' around with this problem. Teaching myself some scripting. I've managed to run the script from within a xbmc addon. I get it to download the update but it doesn't do the actual updating. The dpkg will not run. I'm guessing this is because it's running within the program it is trying to update. Anyone have any ideas on how to do this? Is there a way to kill xbmc, and still make the script run?

I made it write the output to a file since it will not show the terminal output in the addon.
Code:
dpkg -i $xbmcdeb > installoutput.txt

The output from that was a zero sized file.
Repo - A few simple script to do library update.
Giraff Wrote:I've been pootin' around with this problem. Teaching myself some scripting. I've managed to run the script from within a xbmc addon. I get it to download the update but it doesn't do the actual updating. The dpkg will not run. I'm guessing this is because it's running within the program it is trying to update. Anyone have any ideas on how to do this? Is there a way to kill xbmc, and still make the script run?

I made it write the output to a file since it will not show the terminal output in the addon.
Code:
dpkg -i $xbmcdeb > installoutput.txt

The output from that was a zero sized file.

The script is a child process of xbmc so it hangs up too.
You might be able to launch a background process script that can survive the death of its parent using
Code:
scriptname&

You need to capture stderr (error stream) too
Code:
dpkg -i $xbmcdeb 2>&1 installoutput.txt

Another option is to have a script running outside of xbmc looking for a trigger, like a file appearing, that runs the update process.
dpkg -i will not run, need user root and you are user mobile for xbmc. Also, remember that iOS restrictions still apply and there are some locations that you do not have full read/write permission.

Also, under iOS, you are not permitted to fork.
davilla Wrote:Also, under iOS, you are not permitted to fork.

I guess I won't be writing that forking server after all Laugh. Probably a good precaution from Apple - I seem to remember uni student unix servers with literally thousands of zombie processes on them.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV2 and iOS nightly build semi automatic update scripts1