Universal Remote
Hey everyone,

I got my XBMC and it's awesome, but I'm hoping to have just one remote to control everything. I don't have much, just the TV, an A/V receiver, and the HTPC running XBMC. I just wanted one remote to be able to turn on/off all 3 of these components, control the volume off the receiver while also controlling XBMC flawlessly.

It seems like a Harmony would fit the bill but I've searched and read that there are delays when pressing keys in XBMC. Is there a universal remote out there that's as snappy as an MCE remote?
I'm not a fan of Harmony remotes, but it is certainly worthwhile to try one out if it interests you. I found them to be generally acceptable, but didn't feel as snappy as I would like for DVR usage. My biggest gripe is the cost, given that I wasn't convinced it would last long in this household.

Otherwise, the URC R50 should be a great alternative if you're willing to deal with programming right on the remote. i.e. It's not PC Programmable. IMO, the biggest failing is that it cannot be updated to add missing codes, but that generally only becomes a problem in 4-5 years when new gear comes out using codes that didn't exist today. Even then, you could get a JP1 remote (google it if interested); program the new code into the JP1 remote, then teach it to the R50. It's simply cumbersome; far from the simplicity of simply updates a Harmony.

For your needs (1 activity), you may try a much non-LCD remote like the Universal Remote Control URC-WR7. You only need the LCD if you have a need for soft keys; a place to put functions that don't have a dedicated "hard" button on the remote.

For a typical URC remote, the steps for the Power On macro (Power on button) for your setup would be:
- Select TV Device
- Press Power On to select discrete Power On for the TV
- Select A/V Receiver Device
- Press Power On to select discrete Power On to the A/V Receiver
- Select XBMC/PC device
- Press the button you use to wake / power on PC.
- Note 1: Insert delays here if the TV and/or receiver weren't ready to receive the following when you first try it. Some times a devices takes too long to start up and won't be ready when the macro sends these, which is why you send Power On to everything first.
- Note 2: If you *never* change inputs, you can omit the following altogether.
- Select TV Device
- Press the appropriate input button to send a discrete input selection (e.g. HDMI1) to TV
- Select A/V Receiver
- Press the appropriate input button to send a discrete input selection (e.g. HDMI1) to A/V receiver
- Select the XBMC/PC Device to the macro stops with the XBMC/PC device selected and ready to use XBMC.

For Power Off, the macro should be built with these steps:
- Select the TV Device
- Press Power Off to select discrete Power Off for the TV
- Select the A/V Receiver
- Press Power Off to select discrete Off for the A/V Receiver
- Select the XBMC/PC device
- Press the button you use to power off or sleep the PC

The trick will be the discrete codes, and the Power On and Power Off (vs. Power On/Off toggle) are usually there, even for new equipment. I'm afraid I don't know how you would do discrete inputs on something like the WR7, since there is only an Input toggle button on the remote. LCD remotes would have each individual input on a soft key somewhere on the LCD menu screen.

The other hurdle will be if you don't already have a remote set up. You'll obviously need an IR receiver for one. If you already have something setup, at worst, you may have to teach the codes to the new remote. I don't know if URC remotes generally come with an MCE device preset (I believe the R50 does, but not sure about other models.)
Intel G620 2.6Ghz | 4GB DDR3 | ASRock H61M-GE | ASUS ENGT430 | 30GB Kingston SNV125-S2 SSD | 2TB Seagate ST2000DL003 HDD | Lite-On IHOS104-06 Blu-ray Drive | LIANLI PC-C39 Case | Antec EA-380D PSU | WIN7 HOME Prem 64bit | Dharma 10.1
I am a big fan of the Harmony One. I don't know why certain users complain about delays. I have found the remote to be at least as responsive as the keyboard and faster than changing channels on my STB or TV.

As for functionality - I have not yet found something that I want to do but can't.
The standard Microsoft remote allows the volume and TV power buttons to be programmed by learning from another handset. I have the volume buttons set to control the volume on my amp, and the TV power controls the, err, TV power :-) This very nearly satifies your requirements. The only thing it wouldn't control is the amp power.

I've just ordered a Harmony 300, so if you don't mind waiting a few days I can tell you if there's any delay with using it.

JR
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0038...ss_product

I got one of these to use with my iTouch - it works with everything I've got in the house, even my 15 year old surround sound system!

Has a database of thousands of devices, can learn, can do macros - I love my one touch TV on, Sky on, TV switch to correct channel, surround sound on - fantastic.

(Also good fun when you take it round to your m8's house and start playing with his kit without him knowing - hehe)
QNAP TS670 NAS - 4x4TB Raided with NFS Support & Central MySQL DB
Pi 3 [Xbian] - Samsung 46" ES7000 Smart TV & HT-E5550 3D BD Sound System
Pi 3 [Xbian]  + Hyperion Ambilight- Samsung 48" Curved UE48JS9000 4k
PowerEthernet T1502 Powerline adapters
I had a Harmon Kardon TC-30 for about 5 years and it never let me down ... until I managed to brick it due to an automatic update.

I went straight out and picked up a Harmony One. It's easy to use, looks okay and from my experience with the TC-30 (that used the Logitech Harmony database) I know it'll keep up to date with new products for it's lifetime.

My only gripe is that it is not as configurable as I'd like. For instance, I can only choose to power off all unused devices or none of them. Alas, my HTPC takes the power off signal as a 'sleep' command so I have to manually power down the HTPC (via the XBMC shutdown menu of course) before choosing a different action like "Watch TV" or even just hitting the power off button.

Harmonies are great as they work on actions - i.e. will power on (or off) all the relevant devices for your action and set them to the correct inputs. The PC software is a little clunky for my liking but it does the job.

I haven't really noticed any delays with it, works with XMBC just fine.

If you're after something that's easy to use, easily configurable and that will last as you add devices to your setup, you can't go wrong with a Harmony.

SFK
For your very basic setup, you could easily get away with something as basic as the Harmony 300 or even Harmony 200. That said, I would go with the Harmony 600 or 650 (same remote, monochrome vs. color screen) which will give you room to add at least a couple of more devices (up to 5) on down the road as well as the ability to program multiple activities (the 200 and 300 only support one main activity). The 200 or 300 would run you around $20 and the 600 or 650 around $50.

You'll also need an IR receiver, but the HP 5070-2584 can be had on ebay for around $10 shipped and is fully RC6 compliant.
Thanks for the answers everyone, this is very informative for those that just want to use one remote! Is it the lack of the HP 5070-2584 (or any RC6 receiver) that causes the delays? In other words, does anyone experience lag with a Harmony and an HP/RC6 receiver?
It took me about 20 minutes to dial in the delay on my Harmony 900 to match the HP adapter. 75ms turned out to be the sweetspot for me, so that might be a good starting point for you.
I posted this in the Windows forum thread, but I decided to go with the Harmony One (only $99 for a refurbished unit on Logitech right now). jhsrennie figured out that you can run a Harmony to emulate an Ortek VRC-1100 and that solves the delay problems. Genius! I could have went with a cheaper remote but I just like the look and feel of the One and the goal was to get something easier to use for everybody here. Thanks again everyone.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Universal Remote1