Password Protected Folders
Came on looking to see how/where to password protect folders since making a system for my sister who loves horror movies, but, doesn't want the kids watching them.

Saw older requests for the feature, but nothing saying how to do it so assuming never went beyond the request stage.

Figured I'd repost the request since seems like a good feature to have. Maybe add the option under the set content screen.

Cool
System 1: HK1 RBox - Android 11, S905X4 Quad-Core, 4GB DDR3 - CoreElec KODI 20.3
System 2: Beelink GT1 Ultimate - Android 7.1, S912 Octa-Core 1.5 GHz, 3GB DDR4 - CoreElec KODI 18
Storage: WD MyCloud EX2 Ultra NAS - 2x4TB WD Blue (WD40EZRZ)
Display: 55" TCL 55R615-CA 4K TV
Aren't profiles cover what you want to do?
Didn't know it had profiles... looking at it now, do I have to pick the profile and login with a password each time I start up XBMC?
System 1: HK1 RBox - Android 11, S905X4 Quad-Core, 4GB DDR3 - CoreElec KODI 20.3
System 2: Beelink GT1 Ultimate - Android 7.1, S912 Octa-Core 1.5 GHz, 3GB DDR4 - CoreElec KODI 18
THRobinson Wrote:Didn't know it had profiles... looking at it now, do I have to pick the profile and login with a password each time I start up XBMC?

yes
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Profiles seem to be the number one feature most commonly overlooked. That and smart playlists.

THRobinson Wrote:Didn't know it had profiles... looking at it now, do I have to pick the profile and login with a password each time I start up XBMC?

You can set up a master profile without a password and have a separate profile that requires a password.
Sranshaft Wrote:You can set up a master profile without a password and have a separate profile that requires a password.

That might work... otherwise, if you have to pick a profile and login every time you turn on XBMC or someone else goes to watch it... then that wouldn't be convenient at all vs using a password on 1 folder that may get used once or twice a week.

I'll give it try... though I still think right clicking a folder and telling it to use a password is a much simpler solution that more people would use so... feature request still stands.

Big Grin
Something we have supported since 2006
spiff Wrote:Something we have supported since 2006

Supported the idea of password protected folders? or profiles have been supported since '06?
you can password protect a source. we don't support individual folders, if you need that granularity, use your operating system's permission control (or reorganize your files..)

enable the master lock, then open context on the source you want to lock.
Can I just ask....

Do profiles require you to have access to the HTPC so you can log in and out of Windows then relaunch XBMC? Or do they work another way? Eg once XBMC is loaded you log in to a certain profile using username/password?

I only ask because we'd too like certain films protected from our kids (any 12, 15 or 18 rated film), without having to log in and out of things if its possible..certainly without having to access the underlying PC as the wife certainly wouldn't be able to cope with that!
latter.
Ah, that is good news then. Thanks Smile.
(2011-08-21, 01:00)THRobinson Wrote: Came on looking to see how/where to password protect folders since making a system for my sister who loves horror movies, but, doesn't want the kids watching them.

Cool

Free way is here, just saved below code as lock.bat:
Code:
cls
@ECHO OFF
title folder protecotr
if EXIST "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}" goto UNLOCK
if NOT EXIST MyFolder goto MDMyFolder
:CONFIRM
echo Are you sure to lock this folder? (Y/N)
set/p "cho=>"
if %cho%==Y goto LOCK
if %cho%==y goto LOCK
if %cho%==n goto END
if %cho%==N goto END
echo Invalid choice.
goto CONFIRM
:LOCK
ren MyFolder "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
attrib +h +s "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
echo Folder locked
goto End
:UNLOCK
echo Enter password to Unlock Your Secure Folder
set/p "pass=>"
if NOT %pass%== [color=#FF0000]password[/color] goto FAIL
attrib -h -s "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}"
ren "Control Panel.{21EC2020-3AEA-1069-A2DD-08002B30309D}" MyFolder
echo Folder Unlocked successfully
goto End
:FAIL
echo Invalid password
goto end
:MDMyFolder
md MyFolder
echo MyFolder created successfully
goto End
:End

simple way is here: http://www.kakasoft.com/folder-protect/ (not free)
Or use this in XBMC, which is simple and free: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Med...es#Locking
Five ways suggest for you:
1.hidden this folder (if kids don't know how to invisible the hidden folder)
2.Set multiple user accounts to access special folders
3.Create a quick batch script to password protect folder (google and you can found it, or contact me, I would like to send the codes to you.)
4.Password protect folder With 7-zip
5.Password protect folder by a third-part software, recommend kakasoft Folder Protector(http://www.kakasoft.com/folder-protect/).

Hope some help for you.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Password Protected Folders0