GUI slightly choppy on a Radeon HD 6970
Built a new system over the weekend:

i7 2600K
Radeon HD 6970
16 GB RAM 1600 mhz
120 GB Intel 510 SSD
2 x 2TB WD Caviar Black

Nothing is overclocked and everything is working and benchmarking perfectly, but the XBMC's GUI (not playback video) is slightly choppy compared to my older system. My older system was a Core 2 Quad Q6600 with a GeForce 8800 GT.

My only guess is that it has something to do with the 6970. If so is there anything I can do to resolve this? Can it be anything else?
XBMC Version?

and a Debug Log Please
Version: 10.1 (Mar 8 2011)
Skin: Confluence

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

Log file: http://pastebin.com/XS6awQq5

Thanks!
I have similar jerky gui with ati HD5450. For me it seems linked to ddsfanart. With dds enabled scrolling through movie posters (for example) is not smooth. Disabling dds and deleting all .dds files from /thumbnails folder - all is good. Have you tried with dds disabled?
HP Proliant Micorserver | ATI Radeon 5450 | El-cheapo USB Soundcard | Pioneer PDP-507XD
Squeezebox 3 (modded) | Arcam AVR350 | Arcam A85 | Dynaudio Contour 1.3mkII | Dynaudio Focus 200C | M&K K4 Tripoles | BK-Elec XXLS-400 Sub with Antimode
pr0phet Wrote:Built a new system over the weekend:

i7 2600K
Radeon HD 6970
16 GB RAM 1600 mhz
120 GB Intel 510 SSD
2 x 2TB WD Caviar Black

Nothing is overclocked and everything is working and benchmarking perfectly, but the XBMC's GUI (not playback video) is slightly choppy compared to my older system. My older system was a Core 2 Quad Q6600 with a GeForce 8800 GT.

My only guess is that it has something to do with the 6970. If so is there anything I can do to resolve this? Can it be anything else?
that is super htpc's spec, and you shouldn't have any problem playback any bd file.

please try the following guide-
if you haven't update the latest catalyst, you can update it from here- Graphics Drivers & Software. you need to adjust the hdtv resolution in the catalyst control center (Output to TV via HDMI port), and in catalyst control center, go to video settings and video playback, set it to enforce smooth video playback. do these in xbmc: system>settings>video>playback (select allow hardware acceleration (dxva2), adjust display refresh rate to match video and sync playback to display) and system>settings>system>video output (select full screen for display model and select same resolution as adjusted in catalyst). for audio in xbmc, do these: system>settings>system>audio output (follow the settings in this photos- pre-eden settings).
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
bluray Wrote:that is super htpc's spec, and you shouldn't have any problem playback any bd file.

please try the following guide-
if you haven't update the latest catalyst, you can update it from here- Graphics Drivers & Software. you need to adjust the hdtv resolution in the catalyst control center (Output to TV via HDMI port), and in catalyst control center, go to video settings and video playback, set it to enforce smooth video playback. do these in xbmc: system>settings>video>playback (select allow hardware acceleration (dxva2), adjust display refresh rate to match video and sync playback to display) and system>settings>system>video output (select full screen for display model and select same resolution as adjusted in catalyst). for audio in xbmc, do these: system>settings>system>audio output (follow the settings in this photos- pre-eden settings).

Thanks for the tips, but my problem is NOT video playback. Videos play super smooth and audio is perfect. My problem is XBMC's interface. For example, scrolling in: movies > library view > fanart
parrydave Wrote:I have similar jerky gui with ati HD5450. For me it seems linked to ddsfanart. With dds enabled scrolling through movie posters (for example) is not smooth. Disabling dds and deleting all .dds files from /thumbnails folder - all is good. Have you tried with dds disabled?

This sounds like a likely cause, although it doesn't make sense that my older, less powerful PC had no issues here.

How do I disable dds?
pr0phet Wrote:This sounds like a likely cause, although it doesn't make sense that my older, less powerful PC had no issues here.

How do I disable dds?

you need to edit your advancedsettings file. Delete the line that sets useddsfanart to TRUE.

I've no idea why this would cause the issues for GUI, nor can I find any posts discussing similar issue. But the problem definitely goes away for me without dds fanart. My other PC (Acer Revo with Nvidia Ion GFX) doesn't suffer the same problem. Using latest nightly and a varietly of skins (including standard confluence). Problem is not skin-specific
HP Proliant Micorserver | ATI Radeon 5450 | El-cheapo USB Soundcard | Pioneer PDP-507XD
Squeezebox 3 (modded) | Arcam AVR350 | Arcam A85 | Dynaudio Contour 1.3mkII | Dynaudio Focus 200C | M&K K4 Tripoles | BK-Elec XXLS-400 Sub with Antimode
parrydave Wrote:you need to edit your advancedsettings file. Delete the line that sets useddsfanart to TRUE.

I've no idea why this would cause the issues for GUI, nor can I find any posts discussing similar issue. But the problem definitely goes away for me without dds fanart. My other PC (Acer Revo with Nvidia Ion GFX) doesn't suffer the same problem. Using latest nightly and a varietly of skins (including standard confluence). Problem is not skin-specific

Verified that disabling dds and removing /Thumbnails fixes the choppiness. However, this isn't exactly a solution as it's a very significant feature that I would like to keep.

Any further help is appreciated.
pr0phet Wrote:Verified that disabling dds and removing /Thumbnails fixes the choppiness. However, this isn't exactly a solution as it's a very significant feature that I would like to keep.

Any further help is appreciated.

As I say, not seen any other reports of this issue but good to see the "solution" verified by another user. I too would very much like to use .dds fanart as my media PC is fairly low power:

HP Proliant Microserver
AMD Athlon II Neo N36L Dual Core 1.3GHz
ATI HD5450 512MB
5 GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
XBMC Nightly: 20110820-046AB03
pr0phet Wrote:Thanks for the tips, but my problem is NOT video playback. Videos play super smooth and audio is perfect. My problem is XBMC's interface. For example, scrolling in: movies > library view > fanart
sorry i never encounter it with 4 htpc's that i built with xbmc so far.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
parrydave Wrote:As I say, not seen any other reports of this issue but good to see the "solution" verified by another user. I too would very much like to use .dds fanart as my media PC is fairly low power:

HP Proliant Microserver
AMD Athlon II Neo N36L Dual Core 1.3GHz
ATI HD5450 512MB
5 GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
XBMC Nightly: 20110820-046AB03

Maybe create a trac ticket for this so the dev's can work on that.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GUI slightly choppy on a Radeon HD 69700