How to create keyboard shortcuts?
Hi everyone,

I am pretty new to XBMC so I hope someone can help me. I am trying to create keyboard shortcuts while watching movies. More specifically, I want to change the subtitles and change the audio while watching movies. I understand that I need to edit some keymap.xml, but I have no idea what that means.

I already went here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Keymap.xml#Keyboard_Section but am still lost.

Can someone give me a step by step guide? Many thanks! Big Grin
go to this location
Code:
32-bit
C:\Program Files\XBMC\system\keymaps
64-bit
C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\keymaps

copy keyboard.xml to this location
Code:
%AppData%\XBMC\userdata\keymaps

now edit the copied version of keyboard.xml
and add lines (preferably to the beginning for easy editing)
Code:
<n>AudioNextLanguage</n>
<m>NextSubtitle</m>
now the letters "m", "n" in the phrases <m> & <n> means that the lower case m changes the subtitle and lower case n changes the audio.
You can change this to whatever you want
Thanks for your help! Is there a reason why we edit the keymap.xml in the AppData folder rather than in the Program Files folder? Just curious...

Also, I meant to ask what the command was to turn on/off subtitles, not to switch between them. My apologies. Thanks again for your help! XBMC is awesome!!!
To enable, disable subtitles press 't'
You want to have a new starting point just in case you F.U.B.A.R. The settings.
Plus you can have different keymaps for different users to meet their needs
Hahaha, sounds good. Thanks for your help!
tft10 Wrote:Thanks for your help! Is there a reason why we edit the keymap.xml in the AppData folder rather than in the Program Files folder? Just curious...

it's an additive system. whatever is in appdata is loaded on top of the application bindings. that way, you can keep your customizations on app update and we can update the default bindings...
See http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Mod...yboard.xml

I wouldn't copy the system keyboard.xml as it's a big complicated file. You can create a new keyboard.xml with only the mappings you want to create or change and those mappings will be added to or override the mappings in the system keyboard.xml.

On http://xbmcmce.sourceforge.net/ you'll find an applet, KeyMapEdit, to help create and edit key mapping files.

JR
Thanks for your help everyone. I gave KeyMapEdit a try and it seemed easy enough to use. Is it possible to program a key to bring up the "Search" function? Is it possible to do it while watching a movie or is it only possible when you're not? Thanks again!
tft10 Wrote:Is it possible to program a key to bring up the "Search" function?

Sort of. There is no "Search" function, but you can simulate a click on the Search link by using the SendClick function. In Confluence (I haven't tested other skins) use something like:

Code:
<f mod="ctrl,shift">SendClick(VideoLibrary,8)</f>

This should make ctrl-shift-F open the Search dialog. That mysterious number 8 comes from looking in the XML files that make up the skin. It's the ID XBMC uses for the Search link.

JR
Thanks! That did the trick JR!

Are only videos in Library mode searchable? I have a bunch of home videos that I would like to use the search function for, but it is only showing results for my movies.
I think the search does a database search, not a search of the file system, so it only works in library mode.

For your home movies I would manually create NFO files so you can put them in the library as well.

JR

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to create keyboard shortcuts?0