Movies will not play back smoothly, constantly buffering/pausing
I am having trouble with my movies playing back smoothly. All of my movies are ripped to video_ts folders using DVD Decrypter. The folders are named in the correct format for scrapers to pick them up. I am able to see all of my movies with the correct artwork and movie info. The problem lies with playback. I have tried fooling around with the system by restarting Apple TV and restarting XBMC, but I continually have the same problem. First, no music plays during most of the movie menus I have tried. Next, and more importantly, the movies shutter or buffer non-stop. They are unwatchable.

I just tried playing The Town which was ripped to a video_ts folder using DVD Decrypter. The first time I played the movie in XMBC, it started up fine and played smoothly. The movie was in Spanish language mode, so I went back to change the movie language to English. After doing this, the movie would not play back smoothly. I tried multiple times, but it would not work properly. As a side note, it plays find on my Macbook. It seems like my movies play back smoothly about 10% of the time through XMBC.

One other thing I should note before I paste my logs is my network setup. I am running XMBC on an Apple TV 2. All of the files are being accessed on a network drive (a Drobo) which is connected via USB to an Airport Extreme. I am able to access these movies and play them smoothly on my Macbook, Windows desktop, Popcorn Hour, and a few other networked devices. My internet connection is 36 Mbps upstream and 2 Mbps downstream.

Below are details of my setup:

Platform – Apple TV 2
Version of ATV – iOS 4.2.2 (2203)
XBMC Build Version – Git:20110623-62171b3 (Compiled : Jun 23 2011)
Install Method – intstalled XMBC through nitoTV on 08/16/11

Logs:
Xmbc.log - http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/672864/
Syslog - http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/672865/
Crashreporter – (not sure what to paste here, Crashreporter was a folder with multiple files)
Mediainfo - http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/672867/
brasskey Wrote:I am having trouble with my movies playing back smoothly. All of my movies are ripped to video_ts folders using DVD Decrypter. The folders are named in the correct format for scrapers to pick them up. I am able to see all of my movies with the correct artwork and movie info. The problem lies with playback. I have tried fooling around with the system by restarting Apple TV and restarting XBMC, but I continually have the same problem. First, no music plays during most of the movie menus I have tried. Next, and more importantly, the movies shutter or buffer non-stop. They are unwatchable.

I just tried playing The Town which was ripped to a video_ts folder using DVD Decrypter. The first time I played the movie in XBMC, it started up fine and played smoothly. The movie was in Spanish language mode, so I went back to change the movie language to English. After doing this, the movie would not play back smoothly. I tried multiple times, but it would not work properly. As a side note, it plays find on my Macbook. It seems like my movies play back smoothly about 10% of the time through XBMC.

One other thing I should note before I paste my logs is my network setup. I am running XBMC on an Apple TV 2. All of the files are being accessed on a network drive (a Drobo) which is connected via USB to an Airport Extreme. I am able to access these movies and play them smoothly on my Macbook, Windows desktop, Popcorn Hour, and a few other networked devices. My internet connection is 36 Mbps upstream and 2 Mbps downstream.

Below are details of my setup:

Platform – Apple TV 2
Version of ATV – iOS 4.2.2 (2203)
XBMC Build Version – Git:20110623-62171b3 (Compiled : Jun 23 2011)
Install Method – intstalled XBMC through nitoTV on 08/16/11

Logs:
XBMC.log - http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/672864/
Syslog - http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/672865/
Crashreporter – (not sure what to paste here, Crashreporter was a folder with multiple files)
Mediainfo - http://pastebin.ubuntu.com/672867/

There seem to be a lot of people in this postition. Are you set on keeping the video_ts format? You can retain the same quality if you rip them to mkv with a filesize of 1-1.5GB. That way you will be using hardware decoding, and saving a bucket load of storage. I know for a fact you can keep chapters for scene selection, but not sure about menus (why would you want them eh?)
rickrude Wrote:There seem to be a lot of people in this postition. Are you set on keeping the video_ts format? You can retain the same quality if you rip them to mkv with a filesize of 1-1.5GB. That way you will be using hardware decoding, and saving a bucket load of storage. I know for a fact you can keep chapters for scene selection, but not sure about menus (why would you want them eh?)

No, I'm not at all set on it. I just started ripping my movies years ago using DVD Decrypter because i didn't know any different and now I have ~550 movies in video_ts folders. I guess I'm just avoiding the inevitable. It seems mkv is the way to go, but I'm not looking forward to converting them all. I can't imagine how much time that will take. If it were quick and easy, I would have done it a long time ago, especially because of the storage savings. Best program I seem to have found is Handbrake, but it just takes too long to convert them.
brasskey Wrote:No, I'm not at all set on it. I just started ripping my movies years ago using DVD Decrypter because i didn't know any different and now I have ~550 movies in video_ts folders. I guess I'm just avoiding the inevitable. It seems mkv is the way to go, but I'm not looking forward to converting them all. I can't imagine how much time that will take. If it were quick and easy, I would have done it a long time ago, especially because of the storage savings. Best program I seem to have found is Handbrake, but it just takes to long to convert them.

DVDFab will convert them (h264) using GPU* if you do go down the conversion path and are willing to shell out some cash, hours becomes minutes

*assuming you have compatible nvidia GPU
chuckles Wrote:DVDFab will convert them (h264) using GPU* if you do go down the conversion path and are willing to shell out some cash, hours becomes minutes

*assuming you have compatible nvidia GPU

If you have a 64bit multicore CPU and Windows 7 64bit, you should be able to get the time down to ~30mins per movie with handbrake, which compared to the 10 hours it took to do my first ever DivX conversion on my P3, is not too bad.

You can queue them up too, so just leave it running.
With all these suggestions about converting my files, I assume that means that the problem lies with video_ts folder playback?
Hio brasskey,

I personally would wait for the xbmc guys to fix the problem.
In my opinion its a bad habit to circumvent such bugs by convertig files instead of fixing the problem. After all the video_ts structure normally stores dvd data and that should work properly. If it doesn't its a bug. Nevertheless you should always have a folder with the moviename above each video_ts folder (emulating the dvd root dir)

Just my 2 cts.

Umtauscher
Quote:I am having trouble with my movies playing back smoothly.

I had this problem using ATV2 with wlan. After connection via wire the stuttering was gone even for the 1080p content
I had this problem and after some investigation, found that the hdd my content was stored on, was throwing SMART errors all over the place. RMA'd the hdd and now everything works great with the replacement I got.
did you ever find a solution? i am having the same problems.
In my case, it was most of the time atv trying to deinterlace a dvd when the deinterlace setting was in automatic mode.
Just try to set deinterlace to off. ( this is a setting per file, I think)
Cheers
Umtauscher
umtauscher Wrote:In my case, it was most of the time atv trying to deinterlace a dvd when the deinterlace setting was in automatic mode.
Just try to set deinterlace to off. ( this is a setting per file, I think)
Cheers
Umtauscher

Oh I will give that a shot. Where do I find that setting?
Press and hold the OK button when the video is playing, this will bring up a context menu select the video settings option (which looks like a movie reel) and turn it off, personally I want a way to turn it off permenantly
Oh wow sO it has to be done every time you watch the video? It definitely would be nice to disable it permanently. But for now if it works I will do it.

Does the video still look ok with it disabled? Is there any noticeable difference?
bdee1 Wrote:Oh wow sO it has to be done every time you watch the video? It definitely would be nice to disable it permanently. But for now if it works I will do it.

Does the video still look ok with it disabled? Is there any noticeable difference?

how about check the checkbox somewhere below that setting for applying the settings to all movies ... this is same as permanent then...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Movies will not play back smoothly, constantly buffering/pausing0